Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: not pulling water

1. Back To Top    #1

not pulling water

ok, Went away for a few day came back to a running pump motor but it's not pulling any water. Could it be the impella?

any thing i should try prior to pulling the motor off the housing? (one bottom screw not even sure i can get off)
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: not pulling water

Is there water or air under the lid? (did it lose prime). Is the water level above all skimmers.
    If there is water under the lid when the motor spins then it sounds like a problem in the wet-end. Could be the impeller, diffuser, or a blockage.
    19'500 gallons in-ground pool and SPA, painted white over black plaster, 1hp Sta-Rite with A.O. Smith B2982 2-speed motor, 136 sqft cartridge filter, currently overhauling a 400'000 BTU Teledyne Lars Mark V heater. Converted to 12v LED party lights. 20-mule team borax saved me from algae depression. San Diego CA

3. Back To Top    #3

yes, yes and yes.

Will try to get motor off housing to check impella. One bolt head is stripped??? Cant get vice grips in there either..
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

4. Back To Top    #4

I assume there is water under the lid. Else the below is a waste of time.

I'm not familiar with Hayward, but some classical ideas that come to mind: file or angle grind the bolt's head to a square, then get it with an adjustable wrench, hack saw or angle grind the bolt in the middle or at the head, weld a clean bolt to the bolt and unbolt.

Welding on a motor may destroy the motor.
    19'500 gallons in-ground pool and SPA, painted white over black plaster, 1hp Sta-Rite with A.O. Smith B2982 2-speed motor, 136 sqft cartridge filter, currently overhauling a 400'000 BTU Teledyne Lars Mark V heater. Converted to 12v LED party lights. 20-mule team borax saved me from algae depression. San Diego CA