Questions on pump, vacuum and chlorine usage

Jul 19, 2011
Ok, first question-We have a 16x48 easy set pool, 3800 gallons. Is the pump that came with the set adequate? The water (thanks to this site) has been crystal clear and clean, at least as clean as I can get it. There are tiny little flecks of this and that floating around most of the time though you cant see them ,I guess, unless you cant stand it like me. I clean the filter and vacuum once a week (or replace filter if necessary) and use the net to clean out whatever pieces I can get to about once a day. Noone else seems to notice but I am wondering about a slightly better pump for next year? Second question-It takes me about 5 to 10 minutes max to vacuum my pool, there isnt a problem with grass or leaves getting in. For the most part I am getting small ants and silt etc. I attach the vac to a hose so each time there is some filling of the pool. How much filling of the pool will actually impact the levels? Not sure if you guys can answer this but I am curious so thought I would ask. Last question- We have seven to nine people using the pool off and on through the day, it gets full sun from about 11am until 5pm and we are in GA. Should I put in xtra chlorine? I mean should I keep the chlorine level on the high side of normal generally?

What pump came with your pool?

What test kit are you using? And what chlorine levels do you normally maintain?

Extra bathers puts a load on the pool, yes. You can increase chlorine before hand in preparation, however if you get surprised and haven't done that ahead of time I would suggest testing shortly after everyone is done swimming and raising chlorine to your max target level at that time based on the test results.

What is your CYA?

Sorry, its 16x42. Just reading in the manual, pump is RP800filter system with F700 pump, 780gph. I pretty much leave it running all the time. I have talked to you before, I have only a drop test and some strips this year, will upgrade test kit next year. So I have to go on what I have. CYA seems very steady at around 40, it rarely changes and I have only twice added small amounts of cya to bring it up a bit. I generally keep the chlorine at 4+, especially since we have what seems to be a fairly weak pump system and I fear an algae outbreak (not because we have had one only because I dont think the pump could handle a messy cleanup). I guess I am thinking about next year and what we will invest in for that season (I am thinking new pump and good test kit).

780gph is a weenie pump, sorry. Your pool is a good candidate for a second cheapo used 1000gph pump from craigslist. Both the pumps on my pool are 1000gph. When I turn one off to clean the filter the water flow slows significantly. I would not expect much from the 780gph pump, unfortunately.

If you can maintain 4+ ppm chlorine you may be just fine but if you fall below that and a bloom begins... even the slightest little bloom will blow it all up so watch that very carefully. Happened to me last week. The pump you have will absolutely have a hard time clearing a bloom, your best option is to prevent it.

merritt11 said:
Sorry, its 16x42. Just reading in the manual, pump is RP800filter system with F700 pump, 780gph. I pretty much leave it running all the time. I have talked to you before, I have only a drop test and some strips this year, will upgrade test kit next year. So I have to go on what I have. CYA seems very steady at around 40, it rarely changes and I have only twice added small amounts of cya to bring it up a bit. I generally keep the chlorine at 4+, especially since we have what seems to be a fairly weak pump system and I fear an algae outbreak (not because we have had one only because I dont think the pump could handle a messy cleanup). I guess I am thinking about next year and what we will invest in for that season (I am thinking new pump and good test kit).

Since you like to keep the water pretty clear with very little debris you will be happier with a larger pump and filter. You can either look for the Intex pump and sand filter combo, which is sized to fit Intex pool fittings, or you can look at above ground pool equipment. The above ground pool equipment will have more choices as to brands, filter media, and horsepower, but it will also be more expensive and will require some adapters or modifications to the Intex pool fittings to hook everything up. You can read through some of the useful links for fellow Intex pool owners for more information on what other Intex owners are doing to improve their pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.