Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storm Cleanup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Storm Cleanup?

Hey Folks,
    Storm season is upon us here in S. FL. I mean real storm possibilities, ie Hurricanes! In the past, I've just let the G3/G4 clean it up. Or if real big, I have a suction head on a pole. But I hate running this **** thru the plumbing and pump.

How do you guys cleaning up a huge mess of Pine needles, leaves, dirt, sand, etc? I'd like to have something ready. I'm having nightmares about the year 3 Hurricanes went over my house the same year! Just bought a new house with a pool and I'd like to get my Hurricane Pool reclamation plan together!
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Storm Cleanup?

Quote Originally Posted by les_garten
    Hey Folks,
    Storm season is upon us here in S. FL. I mean real storm possibilities, ie Hurricanes! In the past, I've just let the G3/G4 clean it up. Or if real big, I have a suction head on a pole. But I hate running this **** thru the plumbing and pump.

How do you guys cleaning up a huge mess of Pine needles, leaves, dirt, sand, etc? I'd like to have something ready. I'm having nightmares about the year 3 Hurricanes went over my house the same year! Just bought a new house with a pool and I'd like to get my Hurricane Pool reclamation plan together!
    i used my robot when hurricane wilma went through. picked up screws and all sorts of stuff, does quite a job on the robot though. I would probably vacuum straight to drain if I had to do it next time. but my drain goes right to the lake out back.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your first line of defense should always be the leaf net. Get a good one if you haven't already and be prepared to remove as much debris as you possible can manually. Once that's done, you can manually vacuum or insert your auto-vac and that should take care of the smaller, finer stuff that you couldn't get with the leaf net.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

You can also vacuum using a vacuum plate to connect the hose and leave the skimmer basket in place, or buy a large in-line leaf canister to catch the larger debris before it hits the pump.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!