Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best buy for Shock Product

1. Back To Top    #1

Best buy for Shock Product

Just wondering if anyone can suggest what is the best buy for Shock products?
    Jovian, Pool owner since 2011
    Specs: 30k Gallons, Sand Filter, IG, Vinyl, Filter: Hayward S244T, Pump: Hayward 1.5 HP SP2610X15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best buy for Shock Product

bleach?
    24' AGP sandstone,12,000 gal , cricupool rj30 SWG,fas-dpd test kit. BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, bleach or liquid chlorine (both have Sodium Hypochorite, but at different concentrations) is best in the opinion of most on this board. We consider shock to be a process and not a product. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool and let us know if you need any help.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

In particular, the liquid forms of chlorine are superior because they don't add extra stuff to your water and thereby cause other problems later. Anything solid should only be used if you know your CH/CYA levels and want to raise them along with providing chlorine.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

OTOH, if you can handle or need the extra calcium, cal-hypo is pretty cheap in the 90 lb buckets. I would never buy it in the 1 lb packets, too pricey. It keeps well in the heat and so is a good thing to have on hand for infrequent shocking. But only if your CH does not tend to run high. 64 oz will take me to shock level (from 3 to 18 FC) and raise CH by 11 ppm. For a serious problem where a lot of FC was needed over a long time, I'd still use primarily bleach, but cal-hypo 73% from Leslie's Power Powder Pro is great for a short duration thing.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for the comments. Yes, I should remember shocking is not a product, but a process. I just want to confirm what the best buy product to do the process of shocking is, and I gathered that liquid bleech is still the best (economical too).
    Jovian, Pool owner since 2011
    Specs: 30k Gallons, Sand Filter, IG, Vinyl, Filter: Hayward S244T, Pump: Hayward 1.5 HP SP2610X15