plugging pool light conduit.

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
What it the best epoxy to fill the pool light conduit? I will be removing my light and I want to permanently seal the conduit. I plan on putting and expandable rubber plug in it first to use it as a backing and then seal it with an epoxy.

The water level is right in the middle of the conduit right now, so I have a choice to let it drop below and do the work dry or wet.

It seems that I could use pool epoxy (putty like resin and hardener) and marine epoxy (gel in 2 syringes) . Even though both can be applied underwater, I imagine the first would be easier.

Also, does anyone know what the typical inside diameter of the pool light conduit is?

it looks like it was closer to 1" ID.

we don't really use the light. when i have to change the liner at some point in the future I want the light niche to be filled so I won’t have a hole in my liner and potential for a leak in the future.

I’m looking for a leak right now and conduit is one of the suspect. Since I will be removing the light later and we don’t use it now anyway, instead of trying to seal two cables coming from the conduit it’s much cleaner to seal the conduit instead.

Thanks!

Once you seal the conduit, it is very difficult to ever use it again. If at all possible, it is better not to seal it like that. You can cover the niche with a new liner without sealing the pipe, as the liner will seal the opening.

Jason,

I appreciate your words of advice. The matter of fact is - we really don't care for the light. Sealing the niche with a liner in the future would require some backing behind - i would have to have the void with a liner stretched over it. Someone might push with a foot strong enough to do some damage. And who know how longer the existing liner will last (hopefully long).

Currently i have the conduit plugged in with a rubber stopper and some pool epoxy over it. it did get rid of a minor leak.

When i discovered that i'm loosing water, I was loosing about 8-9 mm per day compensated for evaporation loss. Resealing dead return resulted in reduction of the leak rate down to 5-6 mm. Sealing the conduit further reduced it and now it seems to be stable at 3 mm per day.

So I'm happy with my decision to let go of the light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.