Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pump question

Hello im new to pools and i know this is completly off subject but i have an intex 637r (1000 gph) pump and was wondering if it would be possible to leave the filter out and hook it to a sand filter? I have a muskin sand filter not sure of model number or size though any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Intex pump question

I have done this with very poor results. Pressure runs very low and there is no way to really backwash. In a pinch, it might get you by for a few days, I would think it is better than no filter, but I am not sure it was better than the filter in the pump.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the advice another question though is it possible to run a sand filter half full of sand

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

You really need to put in the recommended amount.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the answers

6. Back To Top    #6

Virginia Beach

I upgraded to a sand filter/new pump on ours and don't regret it for a second. I've not bought any more cartridges, and backwashing is easier than re-priming the intex pump. I still use the original one sometimes to help circulate the water or get chemicals dispersed more quickly.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub