Pool-light won't turn on --- HELP!!

So the 120V bulb was put into the pool fixture?

Do you mean that the breaker is tripping due to a ground fault, or is it due to a closed circuit (over-current) somewhere?

Try the following test:

Turn sub-panel off at main breaker panel. Screw yellow wire into the black wire nut (thus completely bypassing the PLW01). Turn on the blue breaker in the de-energized panel. Now, turn sub-panel breaker on. Does this pop the 15A breaker? If not, does the 120V bulb in the pool fixture come on?

Okay, that doesn't sound good. At this point you are going to need a meter of some sort. This would definitely help to trace the problem.

First off, using the same configuration, go to the PLJB and disconnect the yellow wire from the black wire there. Redo the test from the main panel (e.g. de-energize the sub-panel, turn 15A breaker on, then turn power back on to the sub-panel). Does this still pop the 15A breaker?

Also, how many lights are in the pool? Is there a spa with a light?

If you still think a multimeter will be useful at this stage... I'll go out and grab one within the next hour or so. My wife gets home in 30 mins with the light/gasket... then I can head out and grab the multi-meter if it'll help us now.

Yeah, you can find reasonably cheap multimeters at HD, Lowes, etc. You just need to have a test for continuity (or resistance) and for AC voltage. Now that you are becoming an electrician, this will come in handy down the road.

At first I thought there was an open circuit issue, but the fact that the breaker is popping suggests that there is a shorted circuit in the pool light line somewhere. Hopefully not, but the meter would help to identify the source of the short.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, go get that meter so I can tell you what is going on. From what I can tell, it would appear there is a short in the line between the PLJB and the fixture, but that needs to be confirmed by doing a continuity test.

The meter you listed looks great.

Okay, here are a few tests to do:

1. Set your meter to measure resistance (ohms), in the range of about 1 kOhm (1000 ohms). Touch the two leads of the meter together, and it should read zero ohms (meaning no resistance). Now, (making sure the 15A breaker is in the off position) disconnect the yellow and white wires from the pool light cord. Remove the bulb from the fixture and test the resistance between the black and white wires on the pool light cord. Put the lightbulb back into the fixture and do the same test.

If you find no resistance with the pool light out, but then see about 150 ohms or so, this tells us there is not a short in the pool light cord. If you see that the resistance goes to zero, regardless of having the bulb removed or screwed into the fixture, this tells us that there is a short between the black and white wires somewhere in the line to the fixture. BTW, how far away from the pool light is the PLJB? Could there be a second PLJB or other type of junction box where the light cord is spliced to the wires in the PLJB?

2. Pull gently on the black, white and green wires that are in the PLJB that should be connected to the fixture side. Does this move? When this moves, does it look like these wires are part of a cord (e.g. with plastic wrap around the three wires)? If you pull a little more, do you see any movement in the light cord on the deck? I'm trying to figure out if this is where the light cord from the fixture itself exists, or if there might be a second box of some sort where the pool light cord might be. If you see that the wire entering the PLJB appears to be a cord (an matches the cord that you see on the deck entering the light fixture), then we'll know that there are no other places where the connections could be messed up. One other thing... usually these cords to the pool light fixture will be wrapped in their own plastic and the individual wires will be braided (not solid) copper. Do they appear to be braided or solid?

Okay, that likely means that those three wires (black, white, green) are part of the light fixture cord. Do your best to try to pull some of the slack from the other side of the conduit. If the wire moves with tugging, and you see this takes up some of the cord on the deck that goes to the light niche, this is definitely the cord going to the light fixture.

I gotta take off right now because I need to drive home from work. I will check this when I get home (about 30 minutes), but we are meeting friends for dinner at around 7:00 PM, so I won't be able to hang with you for too much later.

I'll check in a 1/2 hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.