Pump becomes un-primed the second I attach vacuum hose

Jul 27, 2011
Hi everyone, Just "acquired" a pool (bought a foreclosure) and though I have some knowledge about chemicals and cleaning etc. this pool is driving me nuts because its GREEN. :(
i am shocking the heck out of it and was trying to do some brushing and vacuuming but the second I attach the hose (yes, I primed it and yes I bought a new one),the pump FREAKS and starts sucking air. I have experienced this before long ago but the pump always seemed to "catch up".
It is almost like the pump is sucking too hard? Does that make sense?
Can anyone help me? I am at a loss due to the GREEN and due to my vacuum not working.
Thanks!

Soccrplyr, check your hose. Does one end swivel and the other end not? If so make sure the swivel end is the end you attach to the vac as that end of the hose is not airtite and must be underwater at all times.

Hi Dalandlord, Swivel end is on vac and submerged entire time while I prime hose from return.
When I go to plug the other end into the skimmer hole, the suction is SO powerful it just grabs the end and sucks it into place. I would think this would be a good thing (lots of vacuum power) but it is so powerful the hose practically collapses and then the pump starts to sputter and un-prime. And then it never catches up. So I have no suction and an un-primed pump. :(

Did you check the hose for an obstruction or holes? The only thing I could think of that would collapse the hose would be for it to be almost totally blocked. How big is the hose?

Does the pool have a main drain or another skimmer?

It sounds like you need a vac plate that allows some flow from the pool into the skimmer, as the hose alone can't handle the flow required by the pump.

Or get a smaller pump. What do you have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.