TA is getting lower, PH still rising?

Lando

Jun 1, 2011
Florida
I have been using BBB for sometime now, things seem to be good except for my PH levels which seem to be at 7.8- 8.0, always rising in a few days if I don't add dry acid. In noticed my TA is getting lower from all the dry acid I have been adding over the course of a few weeks.

My TA is around 80 now and I would like to keep it at that level. How can I combat the creeping PH levels without further effecting the TA?

If this is new plaster, the pH will rise somewhat due to that. I prefer to use muriatic acid instead of dry acid. Using a higher pH target will help reduce pH rise. I would use a pH of about 7.8. It is OK if your TA goes a little bit lower, perhaps to about 60 ppm, if necessary.

What are your calcium and cyanuric acid levels?

The most common cause of PH constantly rising is the combination of relatively high TA levels and aeration (which can come from fountain, waterfall, SWG, rain, kids splashing, and so on). Unless you lower your TA at least a little, the PH will most likely continue to go up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.