Too much DE?

Nodnarb

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2011
First, I did try to do a search for this since I know it has been covered but either my search terms brought up nothing or it brought up half the forum posts.

Noob pool this summer and the install overall went well. I have a DE filter that fortunately I have not had to backwash in a while, so I forgot how much DE I put in last time. I couldn't find my manual so I looked at the bag of Celtom DE EP-100 10 lb bag that I am using and it says that for my Hayward 4820 with 48 sq ft that I should use 20 lbs or 10 cofee cans of DE. My bag of EP-300 which I assume is no different but has 25lbs says to use 10 quarts. My Hayward 4820 manual says to use 6 lbs.

So what am I supposed to use?
Is there a difference between DE brands and choices?

When I put in 10 1lb scoops today I knew it was too much since it started really getting into the pool. I didn't see the 6lbs recommendation on my manual until later.
So it obviously looks like 10 scoops is too much. But was I not putting in enough with 6 lbs?

With the overfill of DE, my water is not overly cloudy. I can see a couple of areas where some DE has settled.
What should I do?
a) just leave things go until next time need a backwash?
b) run my pool cleaner to sweep up the DE on the bottom?
c) run pool cleaner and then do a backwash today?

EDIT: My psi after doing this is right at about 10psi which is what it usually is after a backwash (and I change when it gets to just under 20)

"too much DE" (putting this here to help future searchers)

Also, how important is it to mix DE in a slurry? I have had two PB just say to dump it right into my skimmer return without mixing then start my filter.

Believe your filter manual. If it says 6 lbs then 6 lbs is what you should put in after a complete teardown and cleaning. You should put 80% of that after a backwash. I'd backwash real well and add a little less than 5 lbs back.

Thanks for the link. Thanks for the welcome.

I should have made mention that I did read pool school and the filters link (TFP Rocks!) as that would have helped with my issue but in my first pool panic skipped some other details. I forgot about the DE link which would have help aleviate my panic today. I even forgot about the 80% and I've only had my pool for two months. I had to backwash what seemed weekly at first due to construction dirt everywhere and how much you forget a month later when not needing to do it as pool was cruising along.

So since I put a little too much DE in, am I requried to do a backwash? Am I required to do a manual clean?
The filter is running at 10psi which is where it usually is right after a backwash.
I ran the pool cleaner for a little over an hour and it cleaned the pool and picked up a couple of stripes of DE that settled on the floor of the pool.

Is this just a case of me having to backwash sooner or is this a you better backwash and manual clean or you'll be in trouble?

The reason I suggested a backwash was to get rid of the excess DE you had put in. It really won't hurt anything per-se, but you'll probably have to backwash sooner than normal. You shouldn't have any DE returning to the pool even if you overfilled it some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.