New AGP pool owner ...what else do I need ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys. My pool is being installed tomorrow. Wondering what else I may need. So far I have the following.

The pool Wilbar Oyster Bay 21 AGP
5/15 x1" self tapping stainless steel screws (still have to get these but will have them shortly this is due to the SWG)
Heyward multi speed 1hP pump
heyward 24" sand filter
300 lbs of sand
Wide mouth skimmer
Intex SWG
260 lbs of salt

To get
Ladder
some type of autobot to clean the bottom of the pool.

What else do I need ?

Test kit: First, right now, order your test kit. I suggest the TF100 since that is the best value, but there are a few others that can be ordered online. See Pool School, Test Kits Compared. Add to that a salt test. TF100 will get to you faster than anyone else it seems.

Cleaning tools; A leaf rake and skimmer net that attaches to a pole that extends long enough for you to reach everywhere in the pool. A brush or two, I like the Wall Whale brush, you may want a hand held brush or two, depending on your pool and what sort of nooks and crannies there will be for crud to hide in. You may need a vacuum of some sort, a spa wand may be sufficient, or some other sort of minor cleanup tool, and a regular vacuum with hoses and such.

Chemicals; You will certainly require Stabilizer (CYA) and a source of chlorine. See Pool School for a discussion of these things, in short, bleach is pure chlorine, chlorine pucks and skimmer tablets also contain either extra CYA or calcium, which may be needed or may be excessive, depending on your water. Shock products have chlorine plus either CYA or calcium, unless it is liquid shock which has only chlorine. You gotta test to know for sure what your pool needs or has too much of.

Other chemicals; You will need products to adjust pH, muriatic acid and/or baking soda, maybe washing soda. Which of these you need will be clearer after you get a good test of your tap water.

A log book; Keep all the daily testing in one place, with printouts from Pool School, and details of your equipment and things that you learned from reading on the forum.

Storage; Chemicals need to be safe from kids and muriatic acid and bleach must not be together. Bleach is best protected from excessive heat.

Once you get the first fill up balanced properly, you just need to test regularly and adjust water a little bit from time to time. Keep it clean of debris and know what you are adding when you add fill water or any chemicals. Don't buy snake oil from the pool store, buy simple chemicals that have predictable effects on the pool. Test before and after to see that you got what you expected.

do I need weed killer if a bed of sand is going down on top of the dirt ?

Also--the guy is coming to install the pool tomorrow. I would imagine I dont need any of the things mentioned here until the pool is filled...how long does it usually take to fill a 21 ft pool with just a hose ?

biggest worry is nut grass if you have it and there's not much you can do short of dig it out. It literally has a thorn on it's root that will push through anything. I have issues with it in my yard but dug all of it out for yards around my AGP and aggressively deal with any new shoots and I've not had problems. The good news is it doesn't spread more than a few inches before sending up a shoot so if you keep it well away from your pool and you dig out any existing you should be good.

Sportsman said:
biggest worry is nut grass if you have it and there's not much you can do short of dig it out. It literally has a thorn on it's root that will push through anything. I have issues with it in my yard but dug all of it out for yards around my AGP and aggressively deal with any new shoots and I've not had problems. The good news is it doesn't spread more than a few inches before sending up a shoot so if you keep it well away from your pool and you dig out any existing you should be good.
Yes,A little extra now will pay off down the road...The installer may say no need..But, I would spray in intire area before pool go's up..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.