Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New AGP pool owner ...what else do I need ?

1. Back To Top    #1

New AGP pool owner ...what else do I need ?

Hi guys. My pool is being installed tomorrow. Wondering what else I may need. So far I have the following.

The pool Wilbar Oyster Bay 21 AGP
    5/15 x1" self tapping stainless steel screws (still have to get these but will have them shortly this is due to the SWG)
    Heyward multi speed 1hP pump
    heyward 24" sand filter
    300 lbs of sand
    Wide mouth skimmer
    Intex SWG
    260 lbs of salt

To get
    Ladder
    some type of autobot to clean the bottom of the pool.

What else do I need ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New AGP pool owner ...what else do I need ?

Test kit: First, right now, order your test kit. I suggest the TF100 since that is the best value, but there are a few others that can be ordered online. See Pool School, Test Kits Compared. Add to that a salt test. TF100 will get to you faster than anyone else it seems.

Cleaning tools; A leaf rake and skimmer net that attaches to a pole that extends long enough for you to reach everywhere in the pool. A brush or two, I like the Wall Whale brush, you may want a hand held brush or two, depending on your pool and what sort of nooks and crannies there will be for crud to hide in. You may need a vacuum of some sort, a spa wand may be sufficient, or some other sort of minor cleanup tool, and a regular vacuum with hoses and such.

Chemicals; You will certainly require Stabilizer (CYA) and a source of chlorine. See Pool School for a discussion of these things, in short, bleach is pure chlorine, chlorine pucks and skimmer tablets also contain either extra CYA or calcium, which may be needed or may be excessive, depending on your water. Shock products have chlorine plus either CYA or calcium, unless it is liquid shock which has only chlorine. You gotta test to know for sure what your pool needs or has too much of.

Other chemicals; You will need products to adjust pH, muriatic acid and/or baking soda, maybe washing soda. Which of these you need will be clearer after you get a good test of your tap water.

A log book; Keep all the daily testing in one place, with printouts from Pool School, and details of your equipment and things that you learned from reading on the forum.

Storage; Chemicals need to be safe from kids and muriatic acid and bleach must not be together. Bleach is best protected from excessive heat.

Once you get the first fill up balanced properly, you just need to test regularly and adjust water a little bit from time to time. Keep it clean of debris and know what you are adding when you add fill water or any chemicals. Don't buy snake oil from the pool store, buy simple chemicals that have predictable effects on the pool. Test before and after to see that you got what you expected.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Life is good with a Pool Rover Jr. and a frozen concoction maker! And pool noodles..ya' gotta have pool noodles man!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Make sure you have some type of weed killer for the installer's to spray down on new ground before pool go's up..Some installer's have on hand..but,alot don't..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

do I need weed killer if a bed of sand is going down on top of the dirt ?

Also--the guy is coming to install the pool tomorrow. I would imagine I dont need any of the things mentioned here until the pool is filled...how long does it usually take to fill a 21 ft pool with just a hose ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

you need to order the pool test today and buy your initial stock of chlorine and a small tub of CYA granules today. You need chlorine in your pool within 24 hours, especially this time of year.

Have you read pool school?
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes,need to spray really good over it all..Keep's stuff from coming out of sand&back up wall's..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Alway's better safe than sorry..Them root's,etc will find there way out of the sand &up the wall's..Speaking exp.Alway's good to keep the grass away from pull..Less you have to take care of down the road..

9. Back To Top    #9

biggest worry is nut grass if you have it and there's not much you can do short of dig it out. It literally has a thorn on it's root that will push through anything. I have issues with it in my yard but dug all of it out for yards around my AGP and aggressively deal with any new shoots and I've not had problems. The good news is it doesn't spread more than a few inches before sending up a shoot so if you keep it well away from your pool and you dig out any existing you should be good.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    biggest worry is nut grass if you have it and there's not much you can do short of dig it out. It literally has a thorn on it's root that will push through anything. I have issues with it in my yard but dug all of it out for yards around my AGP and aggressively deal with any new shoots and I've not had problems. The good news is it doesn't spread more than a few inches before sending up a shoot so if you keep it well away from your pool and you dig out any existing you should be good.
    Yes,A little extra now will pay off down the road...The installer may say no need..But, I would spray in intire area before pool go's up..