Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: At crossroads...need quick help!

1. Back To Top    #1

At crossroads...need quick help!

Just finished backfilling my steel walled IGP with gravel. I need advice on the following scenarios:

I'm a little worried about backfill pushing the walls in. Is this a valid worry? Should I get water in there ASAP?

I have not done the concrete decking around the pool yet, and I was thinking about doing that after the water is in just in case there is any issues that I have to dig up. I'm just worried about the concrete guy knocking some gravel or aggregate into the pool and hurting the liner. The electrician will also need to ground the rebar so if he comes to hook up electrical he will have to come back a second time for the deck

I just don't know what to do next!!
    10,000 gallon, in-ground 19x32, hayward sand filter, 250,000 btu hayward heater, hayward 2 speed 2hp pump, pentair chlorine feeder, 2 aqua genie skimmers, self build!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: At crossroads...need quick help!

I'm thinking you should've put water in it FIRST. I'd sure get busy doing it before any potential rain.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    I'm thinking you should've put water in it FIRST. I'd sure get busy doing it before any potential rain.

agreed
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't put water in the pool before final inspection. I can't do final inspection until by electrical is done. The electrician can't finish until he can ground the rebar. I can't put the rebar in for the deck until the pool is back filled!

Anyway, what I did was pull out half way or so up the wall until I can get this figured out.

I think that this should be ok for now? No rain in forecast for next week and on.

10,000 gallon, in-ground 19x32, hayward sand filter, 250,000 btu hayward heater, hayward 2 speed 2hp pump, pentair chlorine feeder, 2 aqua genie skimmers, self build!

5. Back To Top    #5

Poolmoblie,
    My PB set my liner before it was backfilled. Concrete was the last thing for us on the pool. We really didn't get alot of gravel in our pool and we had gravel around the pool for about month and half. Some would get it but you just have to stay of top of keeping it cleaned out. It is alot easier now that concrete is done though. We had our liner in even without all the plumbing done. We just threw in a pump and had it hooked to extension cord to keep the water moving. But that was only for about a week. We just had to use alot of shock till the salt system and everything was done and working .
    My Intro Page: tfp-wanna-be-checking-in-t27499.html
    20K Gal IG Pool - Resurfaced 11/14 w/ Super Blue Diamond Brite
    I test with TF-100 and SpeedStir
    1.5Pentair / 36sq DE filter
    Polaris 380 (love this thing)

6. Back To Top    #6

I checked with my pool wall manufacturer before I backfilled. He stated that with a good bond beam and the braces they supply i was good to go with backfill before we put water in the pool. I used pea-gravel for backfill and had no problems with the walls bowing. Does it look like your walls have moved at all? Did you stake the bottom of the walls in every rebar hole before the bond beam was poured? Here is a pic of my pool backfilled with no water in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DIY 18x36 Vinyl Liner 1Hp 2 speed super pump, Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter, Pentair 12v Intellibrite 5G, MX8 suction pool cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Inspectors are not crazy. Fill it and when he asks why, explain. If you messed up it's not the end of the world just be polite, apologetic, and ask his advise on how to do it. Even if you don't follow it, asking him will put him in your corner.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in MD, Carroll County and our final inspection was done about 4 months after my water was in the pool. Are you sure you need the final inspection prior to adding water.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I staked and even poured 2 bags of concrete on each brace before collar was put in! One of panels might have moved about 1/16. Not worth worrying about I guess