Help, Please...(Who the Heck Opens a Pool in August?)

Good morning, pool gurus. Thanks so much for the site and your knowledge. Here were my numbers this morning:

FC=3
CC=1
ph=7.2
TA=60
CYA= very low because I've only used bleach until last night
CH= ?

I just opened my new pool after a grueling few days of DIY install with my hubby. I read all the School info, and opened using 6% bleach. Since I predicted ineptness on my part, I've put in a little Poly quat as a safe guard. The water is clear now, although it was GREEN from the truck that filled our pool!!! I'm running our pump/filter at about 3-4 hour intervals, with that much of a break inbetween.

I have very little CYA, but I did add some "Pool Time Shock" (yes, I know using that word as a noun is a no-no, ha) that actually uses trichlor granuals. Weird, because I thought it'd be dichlor. I used the "Shock" to build up some CYA instead of buying it, separately.

Anyhoo, I interpreted my morning results (using my space-age, handy-dandy TF100 kit) that I'm low on TA, high on CC. So, I'm in the process of shocking using the same trichlor stuff (I used the pool calc to know how much to boost my chlorine up to shock level. I just added shock 30 min. ago. ) Am I on the right track? Should I add some baking soda to boost TA, or should I have already done that before the shock process? Is it safe to put some baking soda in now, 30 min. after adding the trichlor? One more, is it safe to swim with the higher chlorine levels? I know the organics or hidden algae could be more dangerous than the elevated chlorine, but is it safe just for the high chlorine?

I'm a mess and second-guessing my every move. Please help and restore my confidence! :?

I wouldn't mess with the TA until you see how your PH rises and falls at that level. Add CYA to bring it to 30-50 range, wait 24 hours, and shock for the level added. Don't swim until you complete the shocking process and FC is below shock value.

Welcome! And my pool was complete late last Aug so you're not alone. I thought you meant open from the winter when I read the title.

questions you'll be asked:

1. what was the source of the fill water? pond?

if so, you didn't start on level ground but plenty here have filled with pond water but you have to shock from the start.

2. Why are you using trichlor? (and do you meant dichlor granules dissolved in water?)

Nothing wrong with starting with dichlor if you have it because you have to raise CYA but in this case you want to get your CYA to 30 and keep your FC up to minimum 12 (shock level for 30). With dichlor, your CYA is a moving target and the math would be tough on shock level. I'm a noob but recommend putting measured CYA in a sock for 30). You can then use your dichlor/trichlor while you raise your CYA to 40-50 after shocking.

I can't answer on whether you should worry about TA before shocking.

Don't be discouraged, our pool wasn't installed until August of the year we bought it also, the weather would not cooperate. I would add some cya to get you to about 30 to start. Then I would add some bleach to get you the shock level about 12 or so and keep it there by testing and readding every few hours. Perform an OCLT tonight to ensure that you have killed anything growing in the water. You need to run your filter 24/7 during the shock process to filter out the dead algae.

I don't know much about triclor, so I don't know how much cya that might have added, but my recommendation is to use plain old bleach or liquid chlorine to shock your pool. That way you know exactly what is going in the water.

Y'all have been so helpful! Thank you! Two more annoying questions: Is it more accurate to pull a water sample to test while the pump is running? I thought the moving water would make for a more accurate test. Also, can I add chemicals while my solar blanket is on? Sorry for being such a newb and thanks for your replies!

You want the pump running about an hour before testing.

I add chems when the solar cover is on, but you have to realize that you may be affecting the life of your cover by doing that. It's a choice you have to make.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
if you buy CYA, you can buy granules that are lot cheaper than liquid. You just put it in a sock in front of the return and let it dissolve. You'll need to add some CYA in the future due to splash out.

What you are doing with trichlor is fine if you don't have to shock. I was pool stored before I started and had trichlor pucks, dichlor powder, and CYA before I found BBB. I used the dichlor powder at first because I had it although it was a hassle I wouldn't want to repeat with dissolving in a bucket first and more measuring than liquid chlorine. I'm mostly stuck with the pucks although I toss them in a floater if I'm gone for a couple days. This spring I just stuck CYA in a sock to replenish the winter loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.