Dirt/ground around AGP? Also, please help me landscape! :)

Jul 22, 2011
Just finished putting up a 'starter' 15' x 4' AGP. Plan is to use it a couple years, if we like it and use it enough, then stick it on Craigslist or something and maybe recoup a little cost, and then upgrade. Didn't want to go 'all in' at once. With that said, won't be doing a deck on this pool, although I know how great it would be. Save that for the next pool.

You can see my build thread here:
15-x-4-above-ground-going-up-fun-fun-t36507.html

You can see where I wanted to pluck my eyeballs out with a spoon here:
putting-up-an-agp-sucks-i-m-about-to-drive-over-it-t36912.html

1. I want to put some crushed stone, or river rock, or something around the pool. Currently, my ground around the pool is about level with the bottom of the bottom ring. Before I put my rock/stone down, should I put down a couple inches of dirt first, and then the the stone over it? My thinking is that with water/rain, it would be more likely for this dirt to keep a solid base, instead of it potentially washing out from under the bottom support ring? Just not sure how to tackle this.

2. I had to dig approx 8-9" down on the 'high' side to get everything level. If I get too far out from the pool I will be nearing my septic drain field, so I don't really want to continue digging straight out in that direction; otherwise I would probably do a short 'retaining wall' type thing (which I shouldn't do over a septic drain field), with the stone/rock between that and the pool. I'm thinking my best bet bet is probably to just grade the ground towards the pool? The whole yard itself sort of slopes away from the pool in the other direction (slope towards the right in the pictures). The other option would be to backfill in those 8" or so, and then do the same stone thing as originally mentioned, I just would follow the slope of the ground.

Looking for some ideas here. Thanks!

Re: Dirt/ground around AGP? Also, please help me landscape!

Here you can see basically the uneveness as I was leveling:
P1140537.jpg

Going to move the ladder 1/4 of the way around the pool clockwise. As you can see, I'm in dire need of help here. :lol:
2011-08-06_13-25-57_140.jpg

Short term plan is a paver walkway from the bottom of my deck stairs over to the garage door, and offshoot that to the pool where the ladder will be.
P1140565.JPG

I filled my pool area with red cedar chips, I think it looks nice and it doesn't cost a lot of money, they will help keep weeds down but will have to be topped off every couple of years.
You could get a bulk load (a couple of cubic yards) dropped off in your driveway from a landscaping company (or haul yourself if you have a truck) and then move to the pool site, you could also put some small shrubs in amongst the cedar chips. Locally we can buy natural, black and red cedar chips.

Dave88LX,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. I have the exact same problem. Maybe we can help each other out if no other good advice comes along! By the way, I can feel your pain about setting up a pool. What a pain! You did a great job though!

I have the exact same situation where I have a slightly high end and the ground is exactly level with the bottom ring. I also want to put down some stone. My installer put down a very thin layer of stone dust, but that's about it.

In your case, I wouldn't think that you would need, or even want a few inches of dirt around the base. Couldn't that cause problems by burying your pool a few inches into the ground? This is my first pool, but I was thinking that this would be a bad thing to do. Most of the pools that I see have the gravel around the pool level with the footings. I'm guessing a few inches of dirt is dug OUT from around the pool and this is put in instead. Although, at that point, I'd certainly worry about that hurting the structural integrity of the pool. What are your thoughts on this?

I also have the same issue with a high side. I think if you graded it, you should be fine, especially since it goes even lower on the other side. The water wouldn't get trapped.I'm considering a wall, or just filling the area with gravel instead, sloping down to the pool.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 375

I don't know if it is the right thing to do, but we were told over and over to backfill 6 inches around the pool. Ours was 11 inches down on one side. The installer said to put all the dirt back and build a slope away from the pool. Then we put down the short style edging (to hold the rock in place but not water) landscape fabric and river pebbles. I find the river pebble isnt as tough to stand on as something like class 5 gravel rock.

We didn't put any plants near the pool for fear of roots growing under the liner. I'll try to post some pictures so you can have an idea of how we dealt with the slope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.