Red Service Light comes on - Intex Krystalclear SWG

I had the same thing happen this weekend as well. To start last week low salt light kept coming on. Yes salt levels were good, I figured I would clean the cell anyway even though it looked perfect. Out with the vinegar. Same thing. Ok its no good right? Seemed ok to me but I ordered the replacement salt cell from intex any way. It came a few days later. Installed it and same thing low salt. I am getting p-off now. I flipped over the plug for the salt water cell as suggested in lots of other posts I read and bam it was all good. No biggie sooner or later I will need a new salt cell so I am keeping it. I was thinking ok good that is fixed. Nope few days later this time Red service light came on pump shut off. Pump would run for maybe 60 seconds and kick off. Now i'm irritated. Pump gets used 2 month a year and is drained, dried and kept inside. Here's the thing. I can run the pump in FP mode with no problem other that it doesn't make chlorine in that mode. The SWG I have is on its 4th year so no warranty for me. I open it up and got out my meter and started checking components and inspecting. I found that there is a terminal strip on the left of the circuit board with 6 screws. Bottom 2 say 12vdc +/ -, the 2 above that say chlorine +/ -, 2 above that say cu +/ -. The terminals to the chlorine terminals were rusted, they are under the grommets so I am assuming something dripped thru there. Other than the 2 terminals everything looked like new. I think the water might have damaged the circuit board for that particular section. It gets me thinking. I follow the 2 wired connected to the chlorine terminals right to the salt cell. OK now when everything was working last week i got 12-13 volts DC at the plug that goes into the salt cell. I was getting nothing now. The terminals were rusted so i cleaned them up and still no go. I put my meter on the bottom 2 terminals that say 12vdc+/- and there was in fact 12vdc coming to there. Basically I took off the 2 wires going to the chlorine terminal screws and connected them to the 12 vdc terminals. So now there are 2 wires on each of the 12 volt terminals and nothing on the chlorine terminals. I connected a switch to one side of the lead going to the chlorine cell and the other direct to the cell. Basically just like a light switch. So now when my pump is in FP mode I can just turn the salt cell on and off when I want to. It only runs a few hours a day anyway for my small 14 ft pool so i will turn the pump on everyday for now. I suppose you could hook up a timer as well. Either way it works good and now produces chlorine. I made a you tube video to hopefully clarify. So far it works good. I have been running it like this for a few days now with no problems. If I put the pump back in the timer mode it still goes off on service light. So for now my pump runs in filter pump mode and I control the salt cell on and off with a switch. I am sure I will buy a new generator sooner of later but for this year I am hoping I am good.

PS: I take no responsibility for any damages you might incur from this post. It is merely a suggestion for the electrically capable DIY that wants to fix their SWG without buying a whole new unit.

YouTube

Good luck!

I have an Intex salt generator and the service light has now come one and has shut the unit down, i have cleaned the generator with vinegar and put it back together and turned it on. After the working light quit blinking then the unit shut done. not sure what to do now, does any one have any qlues as what to do from this point.

scotxxx, any chance you still have that video? I can't get your YouTube link to work. This sounds exactly like the same problem I'm having and my SWG is also out of warranty (even though its only been used for a few months maximum, and with a small pool, so only an hour at a time). Only one of my chlorine terminals is rusted, but I'd like to try what you've described to see if it will solve the problem. I've tried to clean them, the wire connection and the screw. My husband suggested brake cleaner, only some of the rust came off. What did you clean yours with?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.