Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add Stablizer to new Pool with SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Add Stablizer to new Pool with SWG?

Hello:
    I have been following this forum (and reading "Pool School") for the past 3 months. Thanks for all the info!!

We just completed an install of a new 16 x 32 vinyl pool, approx 17k gallons, (w/ AutoPilot SWG, AquaCal Heat Pump, StaRite Cartridge Filter) and have a few questions.

Pool was filled 2 days ago by truck and SWG/Pump/Filter started yesterday. Pump was is set to run 8am-5pm. Pool is in the sun most of the day. I inquired about Stabilizer, however, the PB was confident we do not need any.

I prepurchased a TF100 Kit and took some readings this afternoon.

FC 0
    CYA 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 80
    Salt is approx 3700ppm

I just set the Pump/SWG to run 24hrs with Boost on High and plan to take readings tomorrow afternoon again.

I am concerned about the FC reading 0 and CYA at 0. Should I just wait a few more days before doing anything?? Also, what about Ph, is 7.2 to low?

Thanks again for everyones insight.
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl Liner Pool
    SWG
    Cartridge Filter
    AquaCal Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add Stablizer to new Pool with SWG?

see pool school. You definitely need stabilizer, minimum 60. You also need to use liquid chlorine at first while getting swg up and running. I'm sure more detailed advice will follow.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

3. Back To Top    #3

Just a word of caution... If you don't run your stabilizer high enough... between 60-80, your swg will likely have trouble keeping up.

Don't ask me how I know
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum

Yes, you need stabilizer. Recommended level between 60 & 80.

I suggest you turn off the SWG until 24 hours after the CYA is added.
    Use bleach/liquid chlorine to maintain FC level until the SWG can keep up.

Your pH is fine for now as it will climb naturally with a SWG.

I inquired about Stabilizer, however, the PB was confident we do not need any.
    This is for your PB's comment:

You can also read about your AutoPilot at AutoPilot.com or refer to your owner's manual.

Have you found/used the PoolCalculator.com yet?

Congrats on your TF100 test kit

Don't worry, it will all work out
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the good info ( and quick). I just added 5#'s of Stabilizer and 1.5 gallons 6% bleach. Yes, the Pool calculator is very handy and I just downloaded app on iphone.

I Plan to let pump run for next 24 hrs and retest tomorrow night.
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl Liner Pool
    SWG
    Cartridge Filter
    AquaCal Heat Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

recommend retesting in the morning. you don't want the FC too low are you will be shocking. Figure you're still ok for now if the pool just went up.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

7. Back To Top    #7

as long as you wait 30 minutes with pump running, you can retest for anything but CYA.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by wtrav8r
    Thanks for the good info ( and quick). I just added 5#'s of Stabilizer and 1.5 gallons 6% bleach. Yes, the Pool calculator is very handy and I just downloaded app on iphone.

I Plan to let pump run for next 24 hrs and retest tomorrow night.
    Okay, 5#'s CYA will get you to about 35 and you want to double that (as I am sure you know).

Before you add more CYA, test FC/CC and do the OCLT to make sure there is not a problem with your water. After all, the water was in for two days and your FC was zero. If you do need to shock, better/easier/cheaper at CYA 35 than 70!

As Sportman said, don't bother testing CYA for about a week. Simply 'assume' the amount you added is in your pool doing its job 24 hours after adding it.

Keep a log of chemicals/how much you add to the pool

We should be seeing a pic of the new pool before too long, right?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!