Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How small a pump can I go?

1. Back To Top    #1

How small a pump can I go?

Hello,
    Currently I'm running a 1hp Sta-rite Duraglass with 1.5 piping. 1 skimmer and 1 main drain both open 100%, and have 3 return lines that feed 6 returns. (first "T" feeds 1 line that feeds 2 deep end returns (most powerful), then the second leg of first "T" feeds to an another "T" that feeds 2 return eyes (bench seat)(2nd powerful) and then 2 return eyes by the steps.

With a clean filter my PSI starts about 3 PSI. I clean it around 10-13 PSI.

Would it be better if I provided VAC pressure at the pump and then PSI at the gauge?

Looking to conserve energy. Pump/Motor is currently working fine.

Some pictures of my setup:[img]
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_8-Ln ... 0equip.JPG[/img]

17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How small a pump can I go?

Unless there is something wrong with your pump, or your electric rates are very high, it is not normally worth upgrading your pump. If you do want to upgrade anyway, you probably want to look at two speed pumps. A two speed gives you a very small pump (on low) that saves electricity, and an still run on high for the rare occasions when you need that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How small a pump can I go?

I don't have any water features to run. I guess I'm also interested in figuring out my total head also, so I can look at the pump tables.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida