Pool Pollen

Jun 13, 2010
Pensacola FL
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in so move it if needed. I keep getting a brownish yellow "dust" that settles on the bottom. When undisturbed water is crystal clear. More seems to settle in the vinyl seems. I think its pollen from all the surrounding pines. If I brush it, it re-settles, if I vacuum it, it goes through the filter. If I vacuum to waste it's gone for 1 -2 weeks but slowly returns. My CC is always .5 or less. Overnight chlorine loss test is always .5 or less. Any ideas how I can deal with this stuff without pumping out 500 gals or water every 1-2 weeks.

I am surrounded by pine trees and such and fight it all summer long. Skimmer socks will help somewhat but I still get the dust in my divits and wrinkles, the best I can do is throw the cleaner in everyday, clean it up and do it all again the next day.

Well, 2 days after adding the DE my pool made tremendous improvement. The water is a LOT clearer and I suspect will be clear in a day or two.

I did have issues with decreased flow though. No doubt I added too much DE. I backwashed last night and that water was FILTHY.

ROTJob said:
Well, 2 days after adding the DE my pool made tremendous improvement. The water is a LOT clearer and I suspect will be clear in a day or two.

I did have issues with decreased flow though. No doubt I added too much DE. I backwashed last night and that water was FILTHY.
I doubt it. I think it just works, and you had more pollen than you thought! Once you get caught up, it will probably go longer periods of time before it loads up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm thinking I have the same problem. We have several pines near the pool and this time last year I ended up fighting a minor algae bloom. I knew I was getting some debris in the pool and had kept the levels up but with the weather cooling & my lack of brushing the debris kept some areas as nice places form algae to start.

I almost had a repeat this year but caught it just in time. It seems that just as the weather cools we get a lot of fine stuff falling from our pines and one of the neighbors trees. Luckily I've been more prompt at noticing the debris this year and aggressive about getting after it. Now I know that I need to be very watchful at the end of the summer to keep that debris from settling for long periods of time.

I will likely be trying DE or a skimmer sock in the near future because I miss my sparkly pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.