Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool Pollen

Pool Pollen

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in so move it if needed. I keep getting a brownish yellow "dust" that settles on the bottom. When undisturbed water is crystal clear. More seems to settle in the vinyl seems. I think its pollen from all the surrounding pines. If I brush it, it re-settles, if I vacuum it, it goes through the filter. If I vacuum to waste it's gone for 1 -2 weeks but slowly returns. My CC is always .5 or less. Overnight chlorine loss test is always .5 or less. Any ideas how I can deal with this stuff without pumping out 500 gals or water every 1-2 weeks.
    14.5 K inground vinyl
    1hp pump
    sand filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Aquarite SWG
    P'cola FL

Re: Pool Pollen

You can try a skimmer sock. That will usually catch small pieces of dust.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I am surrounded by pine trees and such and fight it all summer long. Skimmer socks will help somewhat but I still get the dust in my divits and wrinkles, the best I can do is throw the cleaner in everyday, clean it up and do it all again the next day.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool
    13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump
    Hayward sand filter
    TF-100 test kit

I'll try the skimmer sock. I remember only having to deal with this a little bit last year.
    14.5 K inground vinyl
    1hp pump
    sand filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Aquarite SWG
    P'cola FL

I think I might try to ad DE to the sand filter too
    14.5 K inground vinyl
    1hp pump
    sand filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Aquarite SWG
    P'cola FL

I just added DE to my sand filter last night for this same problem. I will let you know how it works out. The skimmer sock (pantyhose) did show some improvement, but not a lot.
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

Junior Member In the Industry

im a fan of adding a bit of de to a sand filter.
    pool size 15X30 Filters:Cartridge Aboveground Plaster,Pentair Minimax NT Low NOx Series Heater

Well, 2 days after adding the DE my pool made tremendous improvement. The water is a LOT clearer and I suspect will be clear in a day or two.

I did have issues with decreased flow though. No doubt I added too much DE. I backwashed last night and that water was FILTHY.
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

Quote Originally Posted by ROTJob
    Well, 2 days after adding the DE my pool made tremendous improvement. The water is a LOT clearer and I suspect will be clear in a day or two.

I did have issues with decreased flow though. No doubt I added too much DE. I backwashed last night and that water was FILTHY.
    I doubt it. I think it just works, and you had more pollen than you thought! Once you get caught up, it will probably go longer periods of time before it loads up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Awesome. That is even better news. I cannot wait to get home and check the water today.

[center:ur8uj94b]
    Quote Originally Posted by ROTJob
    I cannot wait to get home and check the water today.
    Oh dear, that sounds like you have an acute case of sparklypoolitis

[/center:ur8uj94b]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

I'm thinking I have the same problem. We have several pines near the pool and this time last year I ended up fighting a minor algae bloom. I knew I was getting some debris in the pool and had kept the levels up but with the weather cooling & my lack of brushing the debris kept some areas as nice places form algae to start.

I almost had a repeat this year but caught it just in time. It seems that just as the weather cools we get a lot of fine stuff falling from our pines and one of the neighbors trees. Luckily I've been more prompt at noticing the debris this year and aggressive about getting after it. Now I know that I need to be very watchful at the end of the summer to keep that debris from settling for long periods of time.

I will likely be trying DE or a skimmer sock in the near future because I miss my sparkly pool!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

Ahhhhhhh. We are finally back to sparkly. I had forgotten how nice it was.