Replumb or leave it?

Jun 10, 2008
Hello-

I have been having some issues with my equipment lately and am wondering if I should leave things alone, or tear it all out and start over (I'm a little excessive when I start a project - I like to go crazy).

About 2 yrs. ago, I replaced my pump with a 2 speed Jandy pump (absolutely love the power savings!). I have a TightWatt2 and run pump on high 3 hrs. a day (I think I need this a little higher, it's hot in AZ!) and low for 12 hrs. a day in the summer.

When I replaced the pump, I had a little difficulty getting the inlet and outlet hooked up before my glue dried (had like 30 seconds total...not nearly long enough!). Consequently, the plumbing is a bit on the tight side and I am getting some air into my pump and I can see it (not constant, but a short blast of tiny bubbles every 10 seconds or so) coming out of my jet closest to the pump.

Now my pump has started squealing sometimes. If I turn it off and then back on, it seems to stop. However, if it starts squealing, it usually continues doing so until it is turned off and on again.

I have a SM10-3 sand multiport valve. 2 years ago it was leaking heavily. I relpaced the spider gasket and it worked well, but now it's leaking again. I am replacing the valve this time....it looks pretty beat. Should I go with the SM20-3 instead? This has 2" fittings instead of 1.5". I am hoping to keep the flow rate up, as I am going to be installing an SWG (model SCC-25....not sure who made it) in the next few days and it would be awesome if I can get this to operate on low speed, since my pump spends most of the time on low.

Which leads me to the next topic.

I have the SCC-25 salt cell and PSC-2 controller for it (I bought it 3 years ago and finally found it in my storage unit this week, so I certainly can't return it....and I DO want to use it).

I went to plumb this in today and realized I don't really have a place to easily plumb this in.

On my return line, it travels next to the multiport valve and is not long enough to chop out a section of pipe and the cell is pretty wide, so it would hit my multiport valve.

So, I looked further and was going to install it vertically but then realized there are two things in the way....
1. My aerator line
2. Some valve that looks like a hose bib (haven't a clue what this is for).....any ideas?

So, it won't really fit here either.

The salt cell has 2" fittings on the end (yes, I can install a reducer) so I thought maybe I should just make EVERYTHING 2" (including the dying multiport) and maybe that would help so I can add a bunch more 90 degree fittings to get this SWG installed. It's not that I can't find a way to add the SWG, it's that I'm not sure adding 4 more 90's on the line would be a good plan.

Currently, my polaris is capable (just barely) of operating while my pump is on low speed. I think adding 4 90's might change this situation.

Please reference the 2 photos below of my setup and please let me know what you guys think. Please note that the red shutoff valve up top by the filter is so I can turn off my backwash line. The multiport was leaking to backwash and this was the only way to prevent this. This valve has nothing to do with the plumbing setup. The second photo shows the size of the salt cell. As you can see, if I install it where I am holding this, it would be hard to get the basket out of my pump, which is directly below the cell.

[attachment=1:kurawk7v]0806111256_01.jpg[/attachment:kurawk7v]

Here is a photo showing the salt cell for size reference. Please note that I ALSO need to install the flow sensor, but I could put that somewhere else.

[attachment=0:kurawk7v]swg cell.jpg[/attachment:kurawk7v]

My sand filter seems to work ok. When I backwash, I can see plenty of debris coming out and it does keep the pool pretty clear (except when I didn't add chlorine for 2 weeks recently). Yep, 45 gal of liquid chlorine and counting to fix this. My thought to install the SWG was the result.

Thanks for your advice!

Dalton

Attachments

• 0806111256_01.jpg
    0806111256_01.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 138
  • swg cell.jpg
    swg cell.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 138
As for the pump. It sounds like the bearing. I'd have it replaced soon.

I would remove the horizontal piece and plumb it outside the waste line an a little higher. Then the swcg cell will fit in the new section.

Thanks for your reply!

Do I replace the whole pump, or just this bearing you are talking about? Is there something servicable inside this unit that I should be maintaining?

The pump is only 2 years old, which seems like it should have lasted longer.

Do you think I should switch to the 2" multiport or buy another 1 1/2" multiport?

Thanks,

Dalton

You can replace just the bearing in the motor. If you're not comfortable doing it an electric motor place near you can handle it. You'll need to replace the shaft seal too.

If you're going to buy a new valve anyway, I'd go with the 2".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.