Pool Temp=88

Today 8/6
FC=4.5
CC=0
TC=4.5
PH=7.4
TA=130
CYA=50

Thanks to all the great people on here it is finally close to being pretty good (I think?). Anything I should do? What to look for first so I do not go backwards? Want to be more proactive now and add little of this or that instead of a big undertaking. Thanks for your time!

I am assuming your water is clear and you have passed the OCLT?

Then...test everyday with OTO and pH kit. Maintain your levels (as determined by the poolcalulator and/or CYA/FC charts), especially FC everyday. Observe everyday your water quality and excessive chlorine use (you will only be able to determine if it is excessive by experience from with your pool). If you notice something, do an OCLT (I usually raise my FC that night up to the top of my normal level and let it sit a little before I do the evening test). Test at least weekly with the full kit, also use full kit when suspecting a problem.

Other than that clean your cartridge when it needs it, and enjoy the swimming.

Again, most important, always maintain your levels, never let FC drop below the normal minimum for the CYA level, and you will avoid problems in the future.

Water is clear but have not done the OCLT test. Found the page on this site how to do that and will do that tonight. What is OTO? ...I have the TF100 test kit.

Do you think my PH is low? Add some (20 mule team) Borax?

Also my FC is right on the border considering my CYA is 50. My FC is 4.5. Add some bleach?

Thanks for the advice and help!!

OTO is the little kit that tests yellow for chlorine and red for ph. I hardly ever use it to test for chlorine, only for my ph. I always like to test with the powder and drops. Some people use it for their daily testing and just use the drop test once a week. I keep my chlorine on the high end for my cya, so I always use the TF-100 to test. I may go through a couple of reagents during the season, but it is sooo worth it to me.

Blink said:
Water is clear but have not done the OCLT test. Found the page on this site how to do that and will do that tonight.
Were you shocking previously?...your first post suggested during shock numbers and after shock numbers. Normally the shocking process uses the OCLT, that is why I thought you had done it. Read/reread the shocking process in pool school: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool.

Blink said:
What is OTO? ...I have the TF100 test kit.
It is in the blue box in your TF kit. As pepsiholic mentioned, you can just use the fas-dpd FC test instead of the yellow OTO test daily. It is a preference, both should indicate if you have FC in your pool, although the OTO really tests for TC not FC. If you water is clear and your chlorine usage reasonable, the OTO is a good (and cheaper) daily check. I am like pepsiholic and tend to use the fas-dpd method daily...

Blink said:
Do you think my PH is low? Add some (20 mule team) Borax?
A little, but still in the safe range. If the OCLT shows you need to go back to shock levels, you will want it low. IF not, it should come up on its own.

Blink said:
Also my FC is right on the border considering my CYA is 50. My FC is 4.5. Add some bleach?
It is one the edge for normal levels. Tonight I would raise you FC up to at least 8, wait an hour then test FC. Test again in the morning before the sun hits the pool and post both sets of results.

Thanks everyone. Great info! So sounds Like I should add some bleach. I have regular bleach (6% Sodium Hypochlorite) how much to bring it up to at least 5? I have 29,700 gallon pool.

On the shocking, NO I did not shock i was just adding WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY to much chlorine. Newbie dumbness....

Have you used the pool calculator on this site? Actually, it's right at the top of this page. It's a dandy little device. I have it bookmarked to my favorites.

Just go to the calculator and at the bottom of the page it will ask for the diminsions of your pool, then it will give you your gallonage (is that a word?..lol). Anyways, then set the calculator for Trouble free pool settings and it will give you your recommended levels for each thing: chlorine, cya, ph, etc.

In the Now colum plug in your numbers, in theTarget column, put the number that you want to achieve, then hit calculate. Scroll over what you wanted to adjust and it will tell you how much to add.

Blink said:
On the shocking, NO I did not shock i was just adding WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY to much chlorine. Newbie dumbness....
Your pool is probably fine, but I would run a OCLT, if for no other reason, because it is interesting. Pepsiholic is right, get to know the poolcalculator.com, it will be your best tool (after the tf100 kit) for a properly maintained pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At night you will want to dose it up to about 8ppm, so that for burnoff the next day it shouldn't get below 5, that way you don't have so much to worry about. My burnoff is about 3ppm during the day because I don't cover my pool and it is in full sun all day until about 8:00pm. Yours might be a little less if you use a cover and are in shade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.