Milky light green water after storm

bobjdan said:
It was pretty bad last night.
Sorry to hear that. How is he doing now?
bobjdan said:
So when I checked the pool at 6:30 this a.m. my FC was 16 (21 last night at 8 pm) and CC was 0. I went to the pool place today at about 10:30 and he said my CYA was 10, my chlorine 8, and my PH 7.5. So I just got done checking my pool at 1:15 and it read FC 14, ph 7.5 and CYA 30! My wife got the same CYA reading. The other day when I checked it after straining it through a coffee-filter my best guess was around 45 but absolutely not below 40 so I'm confused. The only difference I can think of is that I had added about 1.5 inches to the pool on Wednesday and I had used a new unopened bottle of R-0013. The previous bottle had been opened in April or May for a test, then last Saturday, and earlier this week.
Don't trust the pool store results...lots of examples on here where they are wrong. Take a look at the extended directions for measuring CYA and see if that helps:http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397. Especially note doing the test with sun and your back to the sun.
bobjdan said:
With my CYA at 30 the calculator says that for shock it should be at 13 so I guess that is why my grandsons eyes were burning at 21. I tried for 20 and measured the chlorine so my pool must be a bit short of 25000 galllons. Then again that's like a rounding error. So what level do you think I should keep the chlorine at until the algae is gone? 16?
Test your CYA again after reading the above link and use that for the FC level. If it is 30, I would stay above 13 at all times...except maybe let it drop to 13 when swimming. I am surprised he had such a reaction at 21 ppm, but a good rule of thumb that is said here often is only swim in water that is "up to" shock level.

As of Monday morning I had no drop in chlorine overnight so it appears my algae problem is gone. I retested my CYA with new chemicals and it appears fo be somewhere between 30 and 35. Thanks for the help, especially the encouragement to keep on going when it seemed the last of the algae didn't want to go away. It took 8 days. The guy at the pool store said a lot of pools got algae from the storm and were having trouble getting rid of it. I still don't know what it was, but hope I never see it again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.