Adding a second return???

swiz78

Aug 6, 2011
I have been reading about algae under/behind/around steps in an above ground pool. I can get it to clear up and a week or 2 later it's back. I have been fighting for about a month now.

It has been suggested from many people to add a second return behind the steps. Cool, that would be great! But, seriously how do you do that? I can't find pictures or directions anywhere. I have a 24ft. round above ground pool.

Is it PVC or flex pipe? Is it put at the same level as the other return? Is there something that can be dropped over the rail? I would have the opportunity to drop it over the rail because our deck sits above the rail for a seamless transition into the pool (no stuck toes!) I just don't even know if it's possible to do it.

I know that between my husband and I would cold "engineer" something but I would rather do it the right way.

Thank you for your help.

If your steps are enclosed wedding cake type steps like mine are.........here's two easier things to try first. #1.........Drill more holes in both sides to increase circulation through the steps. Just added 8 more to both sides of mine. #2.......If you're still fighting this SAME algae problem and have pool sand in velcro bags to weight those steps down, remove them clean them, and wash the bags. Also remove the steps from the pool so you can clean the wall behind and the floor under them really well.

Thank you. I have been using free weights to weigh them down. I have removed and cleaned everything everything every time. I will try to make the holes bigger, maybe that will help.

I added a second return this spring before opening, while the water was still pumped down from wintering. It was a very simple process. I installed it the same height as the other return. I drilled a center pilot hole, had my son hold a 2x4 on the inside wall of the pool & I drilled through with a hole saw from the outside. About 15 minutes & I had it installed. I tee'd off the outlet of the filter with PVC, installed two ball valves so I could adjust pressure if needed & used hose from there to the returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.