Which colour liner for best heat collection in the water?

Richard_S

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
SW France
Just pondering....;

Which is the best colour liner for putting the sun's heat into an outside pool?

I have two thoughts;
Black absorbs the most light and sun - does this mean that the water does not get hot because the liner has absorbed it?
Cream coloured - does this reflect the heat back into the water?
Or is it the other way around?

I'm sure there's a clever person out there who has the answer... :)

Re: Which colour liner for best heat collection in the water

aha...but here's another thought for the day;

Black clothes absorb more sunlight and heat radiated from the body than white clothes. However,if they are loose-fitting, and there is wind, the wind convects the heat away faster than it is absorbed. White clothing reflects sunlight, but also reflects internal heat back towards your body, so the net effect under identical conditions is less cooling than with black clothes.....

QED if you have a black liner it will hold the heat, but not disperse it to the water, but a white liner will reflect the heat straight back into the water = warmer water.....

???? :)

Thermal transfer between the liner and the water is extremely efficient, totally unlike the clothing situation where there is an insulating air gap.

Yup ...also you may strongly consider a dark blue liner vs. black. I believe (may be mistaken) but depth perception is a big issue in black liner pool. I guess that's only a concern if it is a diving pool though :scratch:

Richard,
I switched from a very light, almost white plaster to a dark Mediterranean blue, and my average unheated temp rose about 5 degrees F. Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.