Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water

I am draining water from my pool because my CYA is too high. Is it OK to fill it back up with well water?? I has that "sulfur" smell, but otherwise it is OK.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Pool water

Do you know if you have metals in your water? They can cause colored water and staining. Chlorine will take care of the sulfur smell.

You can test by putting some of you well water in a white 5 gallon bucket, then put chlorine in it to raise to shock level and observe if the water changes color/tints.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool water

linen is right, the biggest concern w/well water is the metals that could be in it. You can run it through your softener if you have one but you will likely need to recharge it several times.

It is also extra wear and tear on your softener.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.