Question about adding DE to a sand filter

jsw5620

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2011
Pike Road, AL
I read the how to and I followed to the instructions and added it until PSI increased by one. Came back a couple hours later and it had increased by 7 to 8 PSI so I backwashed again and it is back down to 14-15. This may be a stupid question, but the instructions said after the first time you will know how much to add so am I supposed to add that same amount every time I backwash or is the first time all I need? I had to buy it in a 25lb box and I didn't know if I was to keep adding it every time until I am out or how much to stop at. Thanks in advance for the replies! :cheers:

Don't sweat the question :cheers:

I add it until the psi stops having the HUGE rise.

The amount you need to add should be constant - all you're doing is coating the sand with DE (the amount depends on the size of your filter and the flow from your pump).

As such, once you know that you need "X" amount of DE - it will stay constant :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.