Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY plastering

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY plastering

I'm certain I'm missing something but I don't know what it is. What exactly is the "hard" part of plastering? Is it the continuous mixing of the plaster, finding the right ingredients for the plaster, or just the extensive labor in applying it? Everyone says you can't do it yourself but no one says why...?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: DIY plastering

Mixing, delivering to the applicator, and the actual application are the major reasons. Done right, plastering is more of an art than a skill. Getting it contoured, level and smooth is tricky.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

South OC, California

Yeah, I have a video of the plaster guys doing my pool. They had a crew of guys doing it. 1-2 guys at the mixer, on3 applying, and like 4 guys with trowels spreading and smoothing. Unless you have a tiny pool, its worth the cost to have someone do it. There is no way I would do that on my own. And I have done remodels of bathrooms and kitchens before. Unlesss you have a crew of other DIY'ers who want to help
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot! Of course I reserve the right to change my mind between now and next April when it actually comes time to do it....

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

Without access to the special equipment (the guys that did it for us had a modified trailer with a mounted paddle mixer that dumped into the hopper of a crete pump) it would be impractical to DIY

If you can rent the mixer and build a place for it that would allow you to stack a pallet of marble dust and a pallet of white cement and let you dump it's fruits into the concrete pump. AND you got the amount of water figured out and a way to ensure that each mix was right... you might be able to DIY.

As this is set for next April, feel free to ask me what I know (it's not a lot - I've only troweled a few small sections - and that was ~ 20 years ago)
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

near the swamp

I have nothing but good things to say about their stuff, it's all premixed.(mostly just add the appropriate amount of water) and their prices aren't bad either.