Drought Causing Pool level to sink below intake and skimmer.

Jun 7, 2011
Columbus, GA
I have an intex metal frame pool and this past month my area has had a bad drought with no significant rain fall so we are now on water restrictions and aren't allowed to fill up swimming pools. My water level has already sank below the return so we now have a fountain lol. I was hoping that it would rain soon to help add water to the pool but it hasn't. The problem now is that the level is so low that I had to remove the skimmer and now the level is almost to the intake line. Does anyone have any advise on how I could keep my pump running if the water level goes below my intake? Like could I run the intake through the main drain plug?

Re: Drought Causing Pool level to sink below intake and skim

Dang! Even in GA? We have the worst drought on record here in TX, but surprised to see it there. Wow. You are allowed water use for other things right? Why not divert it from another use? Just a thought.

If not, then you might use your skimmer hose. Weight it down, and keep it below the water line.

Brushpup said:
Dang! Even in GA? We have the worst drought on recordhere in TX, but surprised to see it there. Wow. You are allowed water use for other things right? Why not divert it from another use? Just a thought.

If not, then you might use your skimmer hose. Weight it down, and keep it below the water line.
That may work, any ideas on what I should use? maybe a rubber coated 3IB walking weight? We are only allowed to use are outdoor water for animals only. Sprinklers, Pools, ect are off limits... meanwhile my flowers and grass are dying :( I worked so hard this year to get it looking nice.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 210
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 210

carterj92 said:
... so we are now on water restrictions and aren't allowed to fill up swimming pools....
IANAL but, according to the 2011 Outdoor Water Use Rules on the GA Dept of Ag website, you can top off your pool.

"The previous odd/even schedule still applies to non-landscape outdoor water use. The following are designated as non-landscape outdoor uses: car washing at home, charity car washes, hosing driveways, outdoor cleaning, pressure washing by homeowner, and topping off pools. Even addresses may water Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays; odd addresses my water Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. There are no hourly restrictions for this schedule."

See: http://medicalboard.georgia.gov/portal/ ... mt=default

Good luck!

That or a Baseball bat weight. Take the intake screen off, install the barb for the skimmer, and put the hose on that. Either weight should work very well. Sorry about your yard/plants. If it werent for our well, we'd be in the same boat.

Severe water restrictions are in place here...as they should be. We are really getting worried at this point down here as there is no end to the drought in sight. Usually September brings some rain, but we are even skeptical about that now. Just about all all of Texas...worst drought on Record.

CUTiger78 said:
carterj92 said:
... so we are now on water restrictions and aren't allowed to fill up swimming pools....
IANAL but, according to the 2011 Outdoor Water Use Rules on the GA Dept of Ag website, you can top off your pool.

"The previous odd/even schedule still applies to non-landscape outdoor water use. The following are designated as non-landscape outdoor uses: car washing at home, charity car washes, hosing driveways, outdoor cleaning, pressure washing by homeowner, and topping off pools. Even addresses may water Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays; odd addresses my water Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. There are no hourly restrictions for this schedule."

See: http://medicalboard.georgia.gov/portal/ ... mt=default

Good luck!
Well I have some complaining to do because I received a notice from Columbus Water Works stating otherwise. Thank you very much. I have some calls to make now lol.

Brushpup said:
That or a Baseball bat weight. Take the intake screen off, install the barb for the skimmer, and put the hose on that. Either weight should work very well. Sorry about your yard/plants. If it werent for our well, we'd be in the same boat.

Severe water restrictions are in place here...as they should be. We are really getting worried at this point down here as there is no end to the drought in sight. Usually September brings some rain, but we are even skeptical about that now. Just about all all of Texas...worst drought on Record.
Thanks so much for your advise. Hopefully we can both get some substantial rain soon. The weather channel keeps saying rain but I haven't seen any.... hoping for some showers today!

I wish I could send you some of our Minnesota rain. We have gotten so much this year, the yard seems to have constant standing water. At times it feels like a rain forest, most nights have fog, even when it's warm.

Just a thought off the side.........do you guys have rainbarrels down there? About 3 years ago in NC, we had a severe drought that lasted several months and all outside watering was banned. Even our rivers and lakes were well below by many feet. Anyway, people started stocking up on rain barrels that would catch runoff from the roof when we did get a downpour. There is a screen on top to let water in and keep bugs and mosquitos out. Works off of gravity and there is a spout at the bottom and you can hook up a water hose to this. Not alot of pressure, but enough to water plants in and around your house, and could be used to help fill up small pools. Amazing how much water can be collected from just one rainstorm. Maybe a little late for you this year, but next year?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Coastal Carolina said:
Just a thought off the side.........do you guys have rainbarrels down there? About 3 years ago in NC, we had a severe drought that lasted several months and all outside watering was banned. Even our rivers and lakes were well below by many feet. Anyway, people started stocking up on rain barrels that would catch runoff from the roof when we did get a downpour. There is a screen on top to let water in and keep bugs and mosquitos out. Works off of gravity and there is a spout at the bottom and you can hook up a water hose to this. Not alot of pressure, but enough to water plants in and around your house, and could be used to help fill up small pools. Amazing how much water can be collected from just one rainstorm. Maybe a little late for you this year, but next year?!
Yes we do have rainbarrels but they don't work with it doesn't rain.

Well, I called Water works today and I am able to top off the pool. :) Its all full now. Except the hose that goes from the skimmer to the plunger valve cracked so I have no skimmer.

carterj92 said:
Well, I called Water works today and I am able to top off the pool. :) Its all full now. Except the hose that goes from the skimmer to the plunger valve cracked so I have no skimmer.

:party: :party: :party:

Glad to see you got some relief, but that just figures with the bad luck on the valve doesn't it. Danggitt!!!!! :lol:

Can you get rid of the valve by any chance until you can replace it?

Brushpup said:
carterj92 said:

:party: :party: :party:

Glad to see you got some relief, but that just figures with the bad luck on the valve doesn't it. Danggitt!!!!! :lol:

Can you get rid of the valve by any chance until you can replace it?
The valve didn't the break, the hose itself did. I suppose it was just too old. This is its 4th year. Seeing as the kids go back to school tomorrow, the pool probably will be taken down soon and retired. New pool next year! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.