How much muriatic acid, bleach, borax, baking soda do I add?

Jul 16, 2011
Hi this is my first pool so sorry for the dumb questions. I have a 30,000 galloon infinity edge pool that I am going to try taking care of myself.
1) How much muriatic acid, bleach, borax, baking soda, cya do I add to maintain my pool?
2) Should I add it daily, weekly, monthly?
3) what speed should I run my pentair vs-3050 pumps at? I have 2 pumps one for the edge pump and another for the filter vaccuum cleaner
4) how long should I run my pumps for each day?
5) my spa jets do not blow bubbles, is there a way to fix this?
6) is it necessary to buy algaecide or clarify? I did not see this on the recommended products to buy on tfp

Thank you for your help!

Re: How much muriatic acid, bleach, borax, baking soda do I

1) It all depends on your testing. You may never have to add borax or baking soda. You may not have to add acid very often. Use the Pool Calculator to figure how much you need to add.
2) You'll need to add chlorine daily. The rest as it's needed.
3) That's something you'll have to figure out but most people run the filter pump on low except when vacuuming. The edge pump will probably need to run a little higher.
4) That's another one of those things you'll have to figure out. There's a Pool School article that will get you started.
5) We'll have to know more about your setup to help here.
6) There's a reason you dont' see it listed here. It's not recommended or required. As long as you keep your FC at the proper level and your filter is operating properly you won't have algae or clarity problems.

Re: How much muriatic acid, bleach, borax, baking soda do I

You need to get real familiar with Pool School. Read it, then read it again. I remember how it made my head hurt, so hard to understand it all when I'd never had a pool before. I suggest printing out portions and taking notes from time to time. Bookmark the Chloirne/CYA Chart and the Pool Calculator. Then play with the pool calculator, inputting your pool details and whatever test data you have. Then go back and read the Test Kits Compared section of Pool School and find a test kit that does what you need done. You may need to order one online since most pool stores do not carry the recommended types. The TF100 is sold by a beloved forum member and many of us use that one, but choose and get one soon. This site is all about knowing where your pool parameters are, for sure, before you go adding chemicals to the pool. And those chemicals you do add need to be clearly understood as to what they will do to the pool, in measurable ways, so you know what is happening.

Pools are different, different water, environment, equipment, usage, etc etc. Some of us never use borax or baking soda, some use bleach and all the other sources of chlorine as well, from time to time as the chemistry allows. You will learn what you need as you get test data in and see how it changes over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.