The PoolCleaner - How Often Do You Replace Tires?

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I just purchased a 4x Pool Cleaner (scheduled arrival today).

Just wondering how often you have to replace tires (or other parts) on your 2x, 4x, or Pressure PoolCleaner. I understand some may have their PoolCleaner in the pool all the time, others may put in in weekly, or so. So please also include your Pool Cleaner usage pattern.

Also, any comments on front tires and rear tires wearing differently?

Thanks, I think others will find this useful.

kal2002, when you say it stays in the pool 24/7, do you mean you have it running all the hours the pump runs. Or do you disconnect it most of the time.

And Mark, is your PoolCleaner running all the time the pump is running? Or is it just connected some of the time?

Thanks for your replies, I'm looking forward to some other PoolClearner owners experiences with tires (or other parts replacements)

The cleaner is attached most of the time and I currently run my pump on high speed for about 2 hours and low speed for about 6 hours. In the winter, I only run about 2 hours on high speed to keep the leaves off the bottom.

I leave mine in all the time and it runs for 2 hours at night every day (during the summer; once a week during the winter). When in the pool, we just move it to one corner having the hose against a notch in our automatic electric safety cover to keep The Pool Cleaner from drifting. I would say the 3 year estimate is about right as that's about when we replaced the tires on ours, though that was done during a service call when the bearing screw for the wheel broke.

The pump is programmed to run 5 to 6 hours per day in the summer and 3 to 4 hours in the winter. When the pump is on, the Pool Cleaner is running. It stays in the pool whether it is running or not. We don't disconnect it from the wall or take it out of the pool. We swim around it. Therefore, I am thinking that we will need to replace the tires sooner than 3 years like some of you. Plus, we have a pebbletec pool and our pump only has 1 speed so I would expect the tires to wear out sooner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I leave mine in 24X7X365 and run the pump from 12 hours in the summer to 6 hours i the winter.
I have to replace the front tires yearly if I use the solid ones, every 9-10 months if I use the Std. ones.
Back tires about every other front tire change.
I have the 4X

I have the 2 wheel cleaner and I replaced the tires after 3 years of service. That is the only time I needed to replace anything and I have only had to work on it one other time for a stuck gear caused by a small pebble. The cleaner will be 5 years old in November.

The cleaner stays in the water 24/7 during the winter and will run once a week for a few hours. During the spring to fall season the cleaner stays out of the pool due to lots of swimming and runs on average 2 times a week for around 3 hours each run.

Mine is going on 10 years now and I had to recently replace a few parts. The wheel hubs became wobbly because the axial enlarged some so I replaced those. The hose that attached to the cleaner broke so I had to replace that and I replace the float too because the clam shell one would not stay closed anymore. Tires are on their third year and will soon need replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.