Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The PoolCleaner - How Often Do You Replace Tires?

1. Back To Top    #1

The PoolCleaner - How Often Do You Replace Tires?

I just purchased a 4x Pool Cleaner (scheduled arrival today).

Just wondering how often you have to replace tires (or other parts) on your 2x, 4x, or Pressure PoolCleaner. I understand some may have their PoolCleaner in the pool all the time, others may put in in weekly, or so. So please also include your Pool Cleaner usage pattern.

Also, any comments on front tires and rear tires wearing differently?

Thanks, I think others will find this useful.
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The PoolCleaner - How Often Do You Replace Tires?

Thank you for asking the question. We just bought a 4-wheel pool cleaner also. It stays in the pool 24/7.
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

3. Back To Top    #3

About every 3 years for me but I tend to let them go farther than they should.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

kal2002, when you say it stays in the pool 24/7, do you mean you have it running all the hours the pump runs. Or do you disconnect it most of the time.

And Mark, is your PoolCleaner running all the time the pump is running? Or is it just connected some of the time?

Thanks for your replies, I'm looking forward to some other PoolClearner owners experiences with tires (or other parts replacements)
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The cleaner is attached most of the time and I currently run my pump on high speed for about 2 hours and low speed for about 6 hours. In the winter, I only run about 2 hours on high speed to keep the leaves off the bottom.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I leave mine in the pool unless we are swimming. It runs for three hours a day. Only had it a few months so too soon to know what my tread life will be like.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

I leave mine in all the time and it runs for 2 hours at night every day (during the summer; once a week during the winter). When in the pool, we just move it to one corner having the hose against a notch in our automatic electric safety cover to keep The Pool Cleaner from drifting. I would say the 3 year estimate is about right as that's about when we replaced the tires on ours, though that was done during a service call when the bearing screw for the wheel broke.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

The pump is programmed to run 5 to 6 hours per day in the summer and 3 to 4 hours in the winter. When the pump is on, the Pool Cleaner is running. It stays in the pool whether it is running or not. We don't disconnect it from the wall or take it out of the pool. We swim around it. Therefore, I am thinking that we will need to replace the tires sooner than 3 years like some of you. Plus, we have a pebbletec pool and our pump only has 1 speed so I would expect the tires to wear out sooner.
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

9. Back To Top    #9

Let's see if we can find this thread in a couple of years
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I bookmarked it just in case....

11. Back To Top    #11

I leave mine in 24X7X365 and run the pump from 12 hours in the summer to 6 hours i the winter.
    I have to replace the front tires yearly if I use the solid ones, every 9-10 months if I use the Std. ones.
    Back tires about every other front tire change.
    I have the 4X
    30,000 Gallons, Hayward C5030 cartridge filter, IG, Plaster, SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

So how is the tire wear on these units? Three year replacement interval, on average?

13. Back To Top    #13

I have the 2 wheel cleaner and I replaced the tires after 3 years of service. That is the only time I needed to replace anything and I have only had to work on it one other time for a stuck gear caused by a small pebble. The cleaner will be 5 years old in November.

The cleaner stays in the water 24/7 during the winter and will run once a week for a few hours. During the spring to fall season the cleaner stays out of the pool due to lots of swimming and runs on average 2 times a week for around 3 hours each run.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

The bag needs replacement every few years as well. The tires wear down with use and the bag slowly degrades from exposure to chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Mine is going on 10 years now and I had to recently replace a few parts. The wheel hubs became wobbly because the axial enlarged some so I replaced those. The hose that attached to the cleaner broke so I had to replace that and I replace the float too because the clam shell one would not stay closed anymore. Tires are on their third year and will soon need replacement.
    Mark