Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The importance of a good test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

The importance of a good test kit

I used to be blind but now I see!

I received my TF-100 Test kit last week and began doing my own testing with my new Speed Stir. What I found was that the pool stores are worse than I thought. I began paying close attention to how they run the tests on the day I ordered my kit. I noticed that they use the most basic tests for chlorine and for CYA. What I found was that they were dead wrong most of the time.

I took water samples to two different pool stores within minutes of each other (both samples were taken from the pool at the same time). You can see how wide they vary. They both wanted to sell me chemicals. One wanted to sell me a big bottle of Copper Algaecide!

Here are my test numbers after getting my TF-100 test kit:

FC: 8.0
    TA: 90
    CH: 250
    CYA: 50
    [attachment=0:1n4atbt1]WarehousePool.pdf[/attachment:1n4atbt1]
    [attachment=1:1n4atbt1]Leslies.pdf[/attachment:1n4atbt1]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    30K IG, Plaster with spillover spa, 9 ft deep end with spring base diving board
    48sqft DE Filter, 3HP VS motor, Hayward SPII, Raypak RP2100 Propane heater
    AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital with SC-60 and pump relay (220v)
    Polaris 280. Pentiar Booster Pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Speed Stir
    Austin, Texas (It's hot)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The importance of a good test kit

That's a good comparison. It still amazes me why a pool store that does so called 'professional water testing' doesn't have a test that will test greater than 5 ppm FC.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. I can understand them not doing a drop test on every test for chlorine but you would think they would have it in a drawer to use when needed or asked.

Notice the difference in Alkalinity at both places. Warehouse Pool Supply had it at 105. Leslie's had it at 60. Leslie's tried to sell me some "Alkalinity Up".

So, now I really see the problem with trusting the pool stores. You are constantly dumping some **** into your pool. It's like a roller coaster for your water balance. The light went off when I questioned my logic of trusting them completely. I don't think they are dishonest; just inexperienced and mono-trained. Just judging by their age, I doubt they have a pool of their own to care for on a daily basis. When I was their age, I lived in an apartment.
    30K IG, Plaster with spillover spa, 9 ft deep end with spring base diving board
    48sqft DE Filter, 3HP VS motor, Hayward SPII, Raypak RP2100 Propane heater
    AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital with SC-60 and pump relay (220v)
    Polaris 280. Pentiar Booster Pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Speed Stir
    Austin, Texas (It's hot)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    That's a good comparison. It still amazes me why a pool store that does so called 'professional water testing' doesn't have a test that will test greater than 5 ppm FC.
    The Leslie's here claims it's because with >5 ppm FC, you can't test anything at all so your level should never ever be that high; if it's too high for that test to read then you must add a lot of chlorine remover immediately. In fact they told me last year that I couldn't possibly have algae since I had that chlorine level, and I should turn off the chlorinator completely and add chlorine remover. It was soon after seeing how much worse this made things that I ended up here.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

I just ordered a TFT test kit with speed stir this morning. Can't wait to get it in. I went to Leslie's last week for a test and was unimpressed by them. This is my first pool and I've read through the pool school 2 times now.
    12k gal gunite, Sunstone Plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo® VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Pentair CCP520 cart filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Good for you BG you will not regret the TF-100 or the Speedstir. Both good investments.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the forum and being the master of your pool. Great post.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

That's just downright frightening, but unfortunately all too common. I can't wait until I have some spare time to take my water in for testing to the local shops. Should be good for a laugh.
    15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter and Hayward Navigator V-Flex
    Jandy AquaPure 1400, Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP Pump VSFHP270JEP; FlowVis FV-C Flow Meter
    Jandy iAquaLink and OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes; JVA for draining pool