One Man, One Pool and One Deck - AGP Pics

cramar

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2010
Sault Ontario
Finally got around to getting all my pics together.
These are from my 20' pool install, I planned this thing for almost 1 year and it was the most difficult/stressful/rewarding experience. I did the entire pool/deck install all by myself and it took about 3 weeks working 12-14 hour days. I can honestly say that watching my 5 year old daughter enjoy this pool has been worth all the effort, not to mention how much our family has enjoyed being together on hot afternoons, this pool really is a great family item.
I estimate that I saved 5-6 thousand by doing it myself, thanks to all the people here who provided help.

CopyofIMG_5718.jpg

CopyofIMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5752.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5796.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

Nice job! That was a lot of work...but worth it. Looks like you have some good roof mounting options not to far from pool for the solar panels. How do you like using the deck piers? I am planning on using them for my pool deck.

Thanks for the kind feedback.
I plan on getting solar panels for the garage roof next year, I've done enough this year, I also plan on hard plumbing to them. It's a struggle keeping the pool at a temp I like, so I'm hoping solar heat will be a big help, plus the roof gets great sun exposure.

Deck blocks are pretty common in Ontario due to hard winters, I know plenty of people that have piers into the ground and their decks have still heaved, actually the sun room behind the deck is on piers into the ground and has heaved a bit. Our frost can get pretty deep here.
My first plan was straight from DeckPlans.com but ironically that building system is not recognized in Ontario so I had to re-design to what you see in order to get a permit, our building dept was very helpful thru the entire process.
Only concern I have with the blocks is if things move a bit, trying to curve the 2X6 decking around the pool rail came out a bit closer than I planned, if the deck moves a bit it could come in contact with the pool rail (but I might be overly critical as well).
It could be fine though, I'll watch it over the winter and see how it goes, ultimately there's only one board that is close and the solution would be to just remove it for the winter.
Having someone come in an drive piers 6' into the ground would have been great, but I simply couldn't afford it.

It's amazing how much it has brought my family together, its already made some great summer memories for my daughter (mom and dad too) and has already paid for itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Robbie: wait until January and I'll ship you down a 20' by 3' circular hunk of ice!!

Dalandlord: a couple times already I got a big hug in the pool followed by "Thank you for building this for me daddy".......well, that pretty much just melted me, made it all worth it.

Thanks for the kind feedback.

The deck is 12'x19', it contours with the pool edge down to about 11' wide at the narrowest.
We were really pinched in at the preferred site due to proximity to garage, I wish the deck had at least 2-4 more feet wide, but we are a small quite family so it works quite well.
I never tallied the final costs on the deck but I'd estimate something in the area of about $1800 cdn, or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.