Skimmer plumbing install

Jul 27, 2011
Maryland
I am installing a lagoon style 20x40 gunite pool and have a good handle on most of what needs to be done thanks to this site. One question still remains. Is it bad to plug one of the ports in the bottom of the skimmer, having the other port plumbed back to the pump? I am having 2" pipe go back to the pump for 2 skimmers and one line for the drains. Each will have a separate valve and then all joined at the pad prior to the pump. On the return side I am having 5 returns each 1 1/2" with their own valves and own lines back to the pool. This way I can dial in the pressure on any return that I need to. This is all being driven by a Intelliflo VS pump. Any thoughts about the skimmer ports would be appreciated as I haven't found much on this topic.

The two ports on the skimmer are typically 1.5 and 2 inch ports. Using the 2" is a good idea.

The pipe plug for the unused port should be removed, have Teflon tape wrapped around it's threads and then be reinserted to ensure it's water tight.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I just wanted to make sure that having it plumbed that way would be ok. I know that many recommend to either tie that other port into the drains or to have an equalizer port into the side of the pool so I wasn't sure what, if any, impact plugging that other port would have.

Welcome to TFP!!

There is no negative impact on plugging the second port on the skimmer. :)

However, may I suggest a use for it?

Adapt it up to 2" and run a line to the filter pad and stub it up and cap it. This gives you a 'reserve' line that can be plumbed in, if - God forbid!- something ever happens to the original pipe :cool: PVC pipe and fittings are fairly cheap, digging up the yard and busting through a concrete deck is expen$ive !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.