Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer plumbing install

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer plumbing install

I am installing a lagoon style 20x40 gunite pool and have a good handle on most of what needs to be done thanks to this site. One question still remains. Is it bad to plug one of the ports in the bottom of the skimmer, having the other port plumbed back to the pump? I am having 2" pipe go back to the pump for 2 skimmers and one line for the drains. Each will have a separate valve and then all joined at the pad prior to the pump. On the return side I am having 5 returns each 1 1/2" with their own valves and own lines back to the pool. This way I can dial in the pressure on any return that I need to. This is all being driven by a Intelliflo VS pump. Any thoughts about the skimmer ports would be appreciated as I haven't found much on this topic.
    Chris
    18x36 Liner pool
    full length steps
    THE REST IS UNDECIDED

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer plumbing install

The two ports on the skimmer are typically 1.5 and 2 inch ports. Using the 2" is a good idea.

The pipe plug for the unused port should be removed, have Teflon tape wrapped around it's threads and then be reinserted to ensure it's water tight.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Scott. I just wanted to make sure that having it plumbed that way would be ok. I know that many recommend to either tie that other port into the drains or to have an equalizer port into the side of the pool so I wasn't sure what, if any, impact plugging that other port would have.
    Chris
    18x36 Liner pool
    full length steps
    THE REST IS UNDECIDED

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

There is no negative impact on plugging the second port on the skimmer.

However, may I suggest a use for it?

Adapt it up to 2" and run a line to the filter pad and stub it up and cap it. This gives you a 'reserve' line that can be plumbed in, if - God forbid!- something ever happens to the original pipe PVC pipe and fittings are fairly cheap, digging up the yard and busting through a concrete deck is expen$ive !
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have to say Ted that, that's an excellent suggestion. For the little extra cost at the time of installation it would be good insurance.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree that that is a fine idea. I would further that by suggesting it be marked under the skimmer too as the spare and that the cap in the skimmer still be kept in place to keep water out. God forbid a freeze crack develop.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.