Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost of SWG for IGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost of SWG for IGP

I am in the process of finalizing configuration of my 18x36 mountain pond vinyl IGP (26k gallons). In regards to SWG, I have three quotes, of which they are in the $2300 range for the Hayward SWG system, installation with new pool and 700lbs of salt. I am hearing from some that this may be very high. If any have comparisions for me for the hayward system, please let me know.

Appreciate the help!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Cost of SWG for IGP

The 40K AquaRite goes for around $900 in the Internet. Install should run $200 - $500. 700 lbs of salt is about $90. Adding another couple hundred profit on that is reasonable enough. Total price installed should be $1200 to $1700, sometimes lower when done at the same time as a lot of other work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine was quoted as part of the overall pool price/install, so they must be expecting some negotiations.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you want to save $1,000 consider a DIY.

Our local pool store also wanted over $2,000 for a SWG install. I purchased a better SWG on the Internet and I hired my handyman to help me. We had to move valves and eliminate an old chlorinator. Total install time was around 4 hours. A new install would have been faster.

Downside is that you have to learn about a SWG installation and the operation of your SWG.

Upside is that you will know that the SWG was installed correctly. When we purchased our house I was appalled at the electrical work done by the pool store. Electrical wires were laying on the floor not in conduit. Many if not most pool stores do not use electricians for their electrical work and their work may not be to code.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

South OC, California

I paid $1350 for my Pentair IC40 installed. I did the salt addition myself and used 16 bags of salt at $7.07 ea.

The equipment is easy for them to install, not sure why they would quote so high. I had a skimmer replace, a pump, filter, and SWG installed in 4 hours. They had to cut concrete for the skimmer replacement too.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

6. Back To Top    #6
    Lakeland, FL

Installing a SWCG can be a DIY project. $1K for a SWCG, $150 for salt, (you can use water softener salt with no problems)(it's cheaper than "POOL SALT"). If you've got pictures of your pump setup I'm sure some members can make recommendations for your setup.

Here's a resource that shows what's involved:
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Steve456
    Downside is that you have to learn about a SWG installation and the operation of your SWG.
    I don't see that as a downside, it is good to know how your system works.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Houston, Texas

If you are fairly handy you should be able to wire the system to the pump relay and save on the electrical work. I did it myself and it was very simple and the conduit/wires cost $15 or so. Because I have no experience working with PVC I paid a plumber $100 to connect the cell (it took him about 15 minutes), and I bought the Aqua-Rite unit on the internet for $849 ($500 for the power unit and $349 for the T-9 cell). Of course, the larger cell is more.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit