Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Sock did wonders!

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Sock did wonders!

    First time pool owner. Have a 16x48" intex ultra frame, 1500 gph pump/A filter, and saltwater setup. Kept getting sediment collected on the bottom the pool. Stir it but it would just go through the hand skimmer. Was about to order a sand filter with bigger pump so I could vacuum also as my setup didnt come with filter vac and didn't think my 1500 pump would do it well. Anyway, put a white athletic sock over the return and just stirred up the pool getting the particles in the water versus on the pool bottom. The sock has totally removed all of the grit as I guess it was just going straight through the filter. I do keep filter clean and all that . . But just something as simple and cheap as a sock has the pool absolutely clean and hasn't interfered with chlorine production or any ill effect. Got the tip about the sock here . .so just wanted to say thanks. I still may upgrade to sand . . But it won't be to water/grit conditions. Unbelievable.
    Phil
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,345

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Thanks for posting that. I know it will help another user in the future.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    165

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    I'm gonna try this
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by my4boys2002
    I'm gonna try this
    please report back your experience if you dont mind . .working great for me!
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Just letting you know my experience..........I give it an A++++!
    18x52 Ultra Frame with 1600 gph sand filter and intex skimmer

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Carolina
    Just letting you know my experience..........I give it an A++++!

    Good to hear!
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio USA
    Posts
    178

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    How do you fasten the sock to the return? I have return eyes, but also have fine dust in the pool that settles everywhere and this sock idea would do wonders I believe, just have not been able to figure out how to hook it up, lest I want to stand all day and hold it.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by shortdogOH
    How do you fasten the sock to the return? I have return eyes, but also have fine dust in the pool that settles everywhere and this sock idea would do wonders I believe, just have not been able to figure out how to hook it up, lest I want to stand all day and hold it.
    On my return, I have the white plastic round disk like thing with a moveable nozel on it . .to aim the water from the return. I bought a 6 pack of white men(adult) tube athletic socks at wal mart . .they have actually have grey toe areas But the taller the sock the better . .not the little ankle cut socks . . a standard tube sock.

    Anyway . .I take a sock out of the bag and I stretch the top of the sock a little . .nothing major . .but the top of the sock just stretches over the entire white disk area that is inside the pool from the return . .very simply. So ..yes, I have a sock projecting a little in the pool but well worth the clean water results. When its time to change a sock or I dont want to look at it swimming, it pulls off very simply. Again, I dont pre-stretch it much . .you are able to stretch it onto the plastic "disc" quite easily and that tension keeps it on there. it get a little behind the disc in the gap between it and the liner . .but not too deep or risk of anything.

    This is the "disc":
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413VaEy51wL.jpg

    These are the socks:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the- ... k/16420065

    I added the 2650 sand filter and pump yesterday and the sock was blowing off . .I may have stretched it too much so I just put two rubberbands around it towards the back of the disc between the disc and the liner and it is holding fine ( or was last time I looked)

    Hope this helps.

    Phil
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio USA
    Posts
    178

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Thanks Phil, those are some good visuals. My returns (there are two) are quite different, but the rubberband idea might work for me. I did notice that most of the posts here seem to be from Intex owners, I assume above ground pool which can be a different beast. How often do you change (clean) the sock? I know in my hand vac it must be change every 5-10 minutes, but that is a very small sock.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by shortdogOH
    Thanks Phil, those are some good visuals. My returns (there are two) are quite different, but the rubberband idea might work for me. I did notice that most of the posts here seem to be from Intex owners, I assume above ground pool which can be a different beast. How often do you change (clean) the sock? I know in my hand vac it must be change every 5-10 minutes, but that is a very small sock.
    When I first started the sock with the smaller pump, I had a lot of grit . .so I would run the filter and stir the water with the skimmer pole to get the grit in the water column. That worked well and stained the sock fairly quickly. I would say I ran a day, then changed the sock to a clean one. After two days or so, my need to change the sock dropped . .sorta like I had gotten more grit then I introduced back into the pool. These days, a single sock stays on probably a week or more.

    I just changed to a sand system and bigger pump so I am experimenting again . .Sorry I assumed the Intex. I would assume regardless of any type or return, there would be a sock or stocking to fit on it. If the chlorine breaks down the rubber band, I would fold the sock a little around the base and then use a zip tie or something . .but right now I am not experiencing issues with the sock coming off.

    I also want to stress that in my case . .when I would see anything settled on the botton, i would grab the skimmer net pole and stir it up. Where my suction inlet is on the pool wall and with the pump I had . .it would not draw it from the floor . .stirring and getting the stuff suspended so it could be sucked in was critical in my case.Once it got sucked in . .it wasing passing back out through the sock

    Look forward to hearing what you come up with . . the sock wasnt my idea . I found it in tandem with a LOT of other good tips right here on the forum.

    phil
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio USA
    Posts
    178

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilGillis
    Quote Originally Posted by shortdogOH
    Thanks Phil, those are some good visuals. My returns (there are two) are quite different, but the rubberband idea might work for me. I did notice that most of the posts here seem to be from Intex owners, I assume above ground pool which can be a different beast. How often do you change (clean) the sock? I know in my hand vac it must be change every 5-10 minutes, but that is a very small sock.
    When I first started the sock with the smaller pump, I had a lot of grit . .so I would run the filter and stir the water with the skimmer pole to get the grit in the water column. That worked well and stained the sock fairly quickly. I would say I ran a day, then changed the sock to a clean one. After two days or so, my need to change the sock dropped . .sorta like I had gotten more grit then I introduced back into the pool. These days, a single sock stays on probably a week or more.

    I just changed to a sand system and bigger pump so I am experimenting again . .Sorry I assumed the Intex. I would assume regardless of any type or return, there would be a sock or stocking to fit on it. If the chlorine breaks down the rubber band, I would fold the sock a little around the base and then use a zip tie or something . .but right now I am not experiencing issues with the sock coming off.

    I also want to stress that in my case . .when I would see anything settled on the botton, i would grab the skimmer net pole and stir it up. Where my suction inlet is on the pool wall and with the pump I had . .it would not draw it from the floor . .stirring and getting the stuff suspended so it could be sucked in was critical in my case.Once it got sucked in . .it wasing passing back out through the sock

    Look forward to hearing what you come up with . . the sock wasnt my idea . I found it in tandem with a LOT of other good tips right here on the forum.

    phil
    Still working on this. thinking I will need some hose clamps. Force coming out of the returns or quite furious. Rubber band is not likely to hold, even with clamps it is likely to blow off, but still want to give it a try. I can only vac 30-45 minutes a day, but the pump runs 24 hours a day and the cleaning power possible is hard to ignore.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by shortdogOH
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilGillis
    Quote Originally Posted by shortdogOH
    Thanks Phil, those are some good visuals. My returns (there are two) are quite different, but the rubberband idea might work for me. I did notice that most of the posts here seem to be from Intex owners, I assume above ground pool which can be a different beast. How often do you change (clean) the sock? I know in my hand vac it must be change every 5-10 minutes, but that is a very small sock.
    When I first started the sock with the smaller pump, I had a lot of grit . .so I would run the filter and stir the water with the skimmer pole to get the grit in the water column. That worked well and stained the sock fairly quickly. I would say I ran a day, then changed the sock to a clean one. After two days or so, my need to change the sock dropped . .sorta like I had gotten more grit then I introduced back into the pool. These days, a single sock stays on probably a week or more.

    I just changed to a sand system and bigger pump so I am experimenting again . .Sorry I assumed the Intex. I would assume regardless of any type or return, there would be a sock or stocking to fit on it. If the chlorine breaks down the rubber band, I would fold the sock a little around the base and then use a zip tie or something . .but right now I am not experiencing issues with the sock coming off.

    I also want to stress that in my case . .when I would see anything settled on the botton, i would grab the skimmer net pole and stir it up. Where my suction inlet is on the pool wall and with the pump I had . .it would not draw it from the floor . .stirring and getting the stuff suspended so it could be sucked in was critical in my case.Once it got sucked in . .it wasing passing back out through the sock

    Look forward to hearing what you come up with . . the sock wasnt my idea . I found it in tandem with a LOT of other good tips right here on the forum.

    phil
    Still working on this. thinking I will need some hose clamps. Force coming out of the returns or quite furious. Rubber band is not likely to hold, even with clamps it is likely to blow off, but still want to give it a try. I can only vac 30-45 minutes a day, but the pump runs 24 hours a day and the cleaning power possible is hard to ignore.

    My intex 2650 is WAY more force than my 1500 gph . .but sock and rubber bands still holding . .AND capturing grit . .even though way less than paper filter . .it would be throwing stuff back in the pool so I am keeping the sock
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio USA
    Posts
    178

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Got the hose clamp on and the sock is holding for over an hour. hard to see much yet but hopefully tomorrow qill show dividends. Put it on the return with the weakest flow, if all goes well going to try to other return as well. Picked up another clamp at the store already just in case
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by shortdogOH
    Got the hose clamp on and the sock is holding for over an hour. hard to see much yet but hopefully tomorrow qill show dividends. Put it on the return with the weakest flow, if all goes well going to try to other return as well. Picked up another clamp at the store already just in case
    Best of luck. I hope it proves successful for you. I just picked up a pair of women fine woven socks from wal mart tonight - less than $2. I upgraded to 2650 and then pressure is awesome. My men's athletic sock still hasn't blow off . However, with the stronger force I am noticing the bend in the sock for the foot kinda stifles spraying. It still filters great but I wanted to try a sock that was straight . Because when I hold the current sock out straight, it pushes water a lot better . If I let go, it kinda curls back due to taper for foot. . .so I'm gonna test the woman's straight sock and report back.

    The sock has really made all the difference. I run a higher ph than most. I am on well water and I just didn't like adding acid to the water . Even though it seems to be normal. So between the saltwater setup (intex), the sand filter and the sock . .my water is very clear and have not growth issues of any kind. And really the sock and the old pump did it too . . I just wanted the sand set up and bigger pump.

    Again . . Good luck and hope to hear you have more in the sock than in the pool . . Don't forget to stir the water getting anything sitting on the bottom up and suspended in the water column.

    Phil
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio USA
    Posts
    178

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Thanks and that is good to know. The sock I have is a white one that came with the water vac I bought. It is designed to "sit" in the standard vac filter and is listed to catch fine dirt and algea. If it were actually used as a sock I would say it was calf or knee high. I would like to get a longer one, so I might check the Walmart for something like that. Just seems to longer and wider would allow for more water flow and catch more dirt before it got plugged.

    A little worried about the hose clamp, as they tend to rust in wet applications. Not sure how fast they would rust, but the rubber band seems like a more permanent solution, if I can make it work. Clamp should last long enough to get a good sense if it is worth the effort. Got a good stirring of the water last night, so I should know by tonight if I accomplished anything. I hope to add to list of supporters of this technique.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

  16. Back To Top    #16

    I used a knew high stocking over the filter

    I used an old knee high stocking over the filter in my 10 x 30 pool and it works great keeping all the "stuff" out of the filter. If you vacuum the pool and try to keep it clean, the filter won't have to keep the bigger leaves and things out becaue the hose catches it and then just toss it away.

  17. Back To Top    #17
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by shortdogOH
    but the rubber band seems like a more permanent solution
    My experience is Natural Rubber does not do well in chlorinated water (or plain water for that matter). I would go with a SS pipe clamp and keep an eye on it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio USA
    Posts
    178

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Well, strike one and two for me. Clamp I used was not new and rusted quite a bit in the 24 hours it was there. Sock did not catch much at all, and I would even go so far to say the clamp introduced more rust than the sock did catch dirt. Went ahead and switched out sock and clamp with the new clamp I bought and a tube sock. I see the point about the tube sock not holding its form, but it did notice it was noticably dirtier this morning and no rust yet, so I will give it a full 24 hours to see how it does.

    Did notice that that "fresh" water coming out of my vac is shooting dirt out when I go over larger "piles" of dirt. The sock catches a lot but apparently it lets a lot through as well. Might try that fine woven sock to get a better filter, although the cotton sock over the return seems to be collecting a good amount, the floor under the return was still showing large piles of dirt. I think if there is something out there that filters finer particles, that would work better in my situation.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Quote Originally Posted by shortdogOH
    Well, strike one and two for me. Clamp I used was not new and rusted quite a bit in the 24 hours it was there. Sock did not catch much at all, and I would even go so far to say the clamp introduced more rust than the sock did catch dirt. Went ahead and switched out sock and clamp with the new clamp I bought and a tube sock. I see the point about the tube sock not holding its form, but it did notice it was noticably dirtier this morning and no rust yet, so I will give it a full 24 hours to see how it does.

    Did notice that that "fresh" water coming out of my vac is shooting dirt out when I go over larger "piles" of dirt. The sock catches a lot but apparently it lets a lot through as well. Might try that fine woven sock to get a better filter, although the cotton sock over the return seems to be collecting a good amount, the floor under the return was still showing large piles of dirt. I think if there is something out there that filters finer particles, that would work better in my situation.

    Hmm . . my socks just get stained really . .i have never looked inside them at the particle size. but they just get "dirty". I have taken old socks off and outside of the pool, wringed them out getting visibly dirty water so there is stuff inside or in the fabric. They cleared up my issue. But I do have to stir a lot.

    I tried the women's straight sock and it seemed to stretch and didnt seem to have the capture power the cotten athletic sock. I assume by using a clamp, a plastic zip tie wasn't a good holding solution for you? Also, not sure if I mentioned . .but the first time I tried this, I ran my pump constantly and stirred ever so often. My system now is back on a 6 hour cycle and stays clean.

    We had a storm yesterday and while I got the leaves out, there are so many little pieces that have settled on the bottom that I am actually going to break out the vacumn for the first time. Once that is out, back to original sock.

    Also on the forum I read about people putting cotton towels in front of their inlet. I was worried about restriction of water getting to the pump, but several people had success with no pump issues (removing iron and sediment from well water) . .using a towel in front of the inlet, fabric around the paper filter, and a sock on the return were the approaches I learned about. Just using the sock on the return was all I needed.

    Theorectically, the sock shouldnt allow (even under pressure) a majority of particles back into the pool. I am sure it misses some, but if you can "filter" your return , you should be able to capture anything that made it through the initial filteration system. Please keep posting your findings, i am confident you will discover a way to make this cheap approach beneficial.

    phil
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio USA
    Posts
    178

    Re: Sock did wonders!

    Thanks. Actually the clamp worked great, it just was old, and rusted easily. Hopefully my new clamp will hold up a few months without rust. My original finding would be that the COTTON sock is much better as well. I want to give it the same 24 hour period I gave the other (nylon?) sock and compare the results though.

    I tried an inlet with the aforementioned _nylon?_ sock, but again, not much dirt. I like the idea of my skimmer and filter collecting the bigger particles, and the sock getting the fine stuff they miss as a better plan, especially whenI cannot be there to monitor and correct any plugging up scenarios.

    I have not been as diligent at "stirring" the water. I vacuum up the plies of dirt I can see, and later when I return the piles have reformed, which tells me that the dirt is in the water and is settling on the floor. I have a TON of dirt in my pool, so maybe I am getting the best performance possible. Had I been doing this for purely a maintanence cycle, I probably would not be having this issue.

    Storms here last night as well, but that is the least of my worries. Hopefully it does not cause too much work for you.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •