And So It Begins...

NWscott said:
DEEP ENOUGH?

DSC_0053-1.jpg

NWscott:

My nephew likes the deep end...8.5' before the gunite. 7.5' with. Not too deep...not too shallow - just right!

wow...the tile is awesome. Your pool builder must be as smart as he is good looking! He probably is even a supporter here on TFP. How did you choose such a multi-talented, all around good guy? Oh wait...I'm the pool builder and thanks for all the kudos on the tile.
Some info on the tile: It took me about a year to pull that off. All of the pebble type tiles like that were only available in 10"x10" sheets which didn't really work for a waterline (especially since the 4 edges were uneven and meant to be woven together.) We finally found a manufacturer who was willing to do a "small job" for us and we ordered a container of this porcelain waterline tile. It looks even better when the water is in the pool. Hopefully, the big ragu here will keep up with the photos. If any of you are near northeast PA, and want to see any of our pools with this tile, feel free to call or email me.

So, handsome pool builder guy with fabulous tile...

Are you prepared for the world to beg you to sell them some of that tile? After seeing it here, pretty sure if I was building a pool I'd sell my tadpoles if it would help me get it. Very nice! :~}

Hey James,

that is a great question. when I did a hybrid version of this tile in my personal pool 8 years ago, I had that same concern. 3 ways we address it:

1. We use a darker gray grout to minimize the visibility of any stains. This also looks better with the tile, as white grout makes is look like individual dots rather than a continuous border.
2. We use MGS in our grout (mortar and grout sealant) which stops efflorescence and helps seal the grout.
3. we include a killer robotic cleaner with each pool that is a wall climbing/tile scrubbing model so it keep the tile sparkling clean.

Alright...been awhile...well, there were some decisions made (coping, decking, etc.) at the senior management level - which excludes me, of course - that altered the schedule a tad. The coping was completed yesterday. Looks great...I think. I may be biased here, but it was a brilliant decision by upper management. Concrete decking should be done Tues or Wed. Hopefully Friday will be quartz finish and then fill!!! Keepin' my fingers crossed.

[attachment=2:1bwgm8d4]DSC_0093.JPG[/attachment:1bwgm8d4]

[attachment=1:1bwgm8d4]DSC_0096.JPG[/attachment:1bwgm8d4]

[attachment=0:1bwgm8d4]DSC_0095.JPG[/attachment:1bwgm8d4]

Attachments

• DSC_0093.JPG
    DSC_0093.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC_0096.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0095.JPG
    DSC_0095.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 259

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right on cue...the crew showed up today and laid out the decking forms. Looks good. If the weather holds up, they'll be pouring concrete tomorrow (Wed.). Thurs or Friday the guys should finish the stone work and then it's time for the quartz and fill!

[attachment=0:1slzh8hf]decking layout.JPG[/attachment:1slzh8hf]

Attachments

• decking layout.JPG
    decking layout.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 218
Well let's just say the weather in Eastern PA didn't exactly cooperate. Finally had the decking poured today. The plaster/quartz crew is scheduled for tomorrow, but the forecast is calling for rain again! Unfriggin-believable! I'm thinking I should have built an ark instead of install a pool. Although at this rate of rain, my pool may become an ark! Onto more important things...the pics:

[attachment=1:2jyyesxo]DSC_0001.JPG[/attachment:2jyyesxo]

[attachment=0:2jyyesxo]DSC_0002.JPG[/attachment:2jyyesxo]

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 185
With the way the weather has been in this neck of the woods, it was a long time coming for the plaster guys to finally have a break in the weather long enough to get the plaster/quartz done without getting rained on. Originally the schedule was for the quartz to go in the week of Sept. 9. They were gracious enough to come out on a Sunday (can't thank them enough) and get the job done Oct. 2. Seems there were a few "wet" spots that didn't want to tighten up...so out came the blow torch. Other than that, seemed like the job went smooth. Once they cleaned up, the water trucks were there to fill.

[attachment=2:2d4nhaqp]Plaster1.JPG[/attachment:2d4nhaqp]

[attachment=1:2d4nhaqp]Plaster 2.JPG[/attachment:2d4nhaqp]

[attachment=0:2d4nhaqp]Plaster3.JPG[/attachment:2d4nhaqp]

Attachments

• Plaster1.JPG
    Plaster1.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Plaster 2.JPG
    Plaster 2.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Plaster3.JPG
    Plaster3.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 158
Took a few pics the day after the pool was filled. I'll upload more pics once all the work around the pool is finished. All the stone work in the relief joints is ongoing. I'll update once that is done. Thankfully we're getting a bit of an Indian Summer this week, so the kids can jump in for a couple of days. Now I'm off to babysit my new pool...need to brush it down...twice a day for 2 weeks...happy, happy...joy, joy!

[attachment=1:hozb7yls]Finished 1.JPG[/attachment:hozb7yls]

[attachment=0:hozb7yls]Finished 2.JPG[/attachment:hozb7yls]

Attachments

• Finished 1.JPG
    Finished 1.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Finished 2.JPG
    Finished 2.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 158
mx702 said:
Beautiful! :goodjob:

Specs?

Specs I'm gonna do off the top of my head because I don't have easy access at the moment to the info. Will update when I can.

Here goes:

29' x 30' in-ground gunite, 20k gallons, superblue quartz finish
IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator
IntelliPro VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump (3hp)
Pentair System 3 Cartridge filter (S8M500)
2 skimmers, 3 wall returns and 3 floor returns
StaRite Max E-Therm 400k BTU gas heater
2 Deck jets
SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

That's all I can think of for now....

We are finally done. :party: (Well...with the big stuff.) All stone work is done. The fence was installed. The gas heater was hooked up yesterday. The slide was installed as well. Only thing left is to finish the landscaping where the gas line was run and to do the caulking around the pool between the decking and coping. Can't believe we are finally there. 2.5 months. Not bad, I guess. Couple of finished product pics below. Thanks for following along for those that did. Now I have to go back to school...Pool School that is!

[attachment=1:1wljbmzi]Finished.JPG[/attachment:1wljbmzi]

[attachment=0:1wljbmzi]Finished2.JPG[/attachment:1wljbmzi]

Attachments

• Finished.JPG
    Finished.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Finished2.JPG
    Finished2.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 84

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.