Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ozone and PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Ozone and PH

Does having an ozonator and circ pump, running continually, affect PH? I'm having a hard time bringing down my PH and TA; PH=8.0 TA=200. It seems like the constant aeration would keep the PH high. This is in a hot tub, 330 gals., 99 degrees. I added what the pool calculator suggested and it didn't have any noticeable effect; am I just being a chicken not wanting to dump copious quantities of muriatic acid in my tub?
    Grecian Swim Spa, 1900 gal, cartridge filters, Del Ozonator, 2hp-2 speed, 4 hp-Specht
    Tiger River Bengal, 330 gal, cartridge filter, ozonator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ozone and PH

You're being a chicken

The aeration from an ozonator, especially if on a lot of the time, does make the outgassing worse, but running jets is even worse. At any rate, a TA of 200 ppm would even have the pH rise significantly in a pool, let alone a spa. You really need to get that TA down A LOT and yes, adding a bunch of Muriatic Acid is the way to do it, but in a spa the process is much faster because you can aerate significantly with jets. Just follow the Lower Total Alkalinity process.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ozone and PH

Thanks! I guess i missed that part of Pool School. I overcame my acidophobia ,followed the directions and TA is coming down. This is a great board!
    Grecian Swim Spa, 1900 gal, cartridge filters, Del Ozonator, 2hp-2 speed, 4 hp-Specht
    Tiger River Bengal, 330 gal, cartridge filter, ozonator