Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well water CA and when to refill

1. Back To Top    #1

Well water CA and when to refill

Quick question-

We have well water with a hi CA count- 275-350 at the fill depending on the test day. My CA is currently at 500 and my TA is at 80. At what level should I do a partial drain and refill. Thanks in advance!
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Well water CA and when to refill

If you'll use CH as your abbreviation for Calcium Hardness, it'll help everyone stay on the same page.

Generally the forum suggests CH of 250 - 400 as normal so anything over 400 is a little high. It's manageable over that and 500 isn't bad but I would (if the water is cheap enough) go ahead and replace enough to get it down in the 400 range.

Alternatively, you can keep you pH in the lower 7's (7.2 - 7.4) and not have any trouble with a CH of 500 or even a little higher. Keep your TA in normal range if you decide to control it this way.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School