Vacation Chlorine levels

Aug 23, 2010
UK
Hi Everyone
My AGP has been up and running for 3 months now without a glitch (hurrah). But I'm off on vacation for 2 weeks tomorrow (aghhh!!).
So I have a beautiful clear pool and I'd like to keep it that way.

Over a 2 week period records show that I've used...
2Kg of Dry Acid to keep the ph around 7.5
250g of Chlorine with Stabilizer to keep around 2-3ppm
(This includes 15 hours of swim time during this period)

My plan
Reduce the ph down to 7.2
Get chlorine levels to 5
Then get my elderly parents to carefully pour a pre-prepared 100g of chlorine into the pool in a weeks time.
The pre-prepared chlorine would be mixed in a watering can ready to poor into the pool
The pump will be on 3 hours per day on a timer.
Note that I cover the AGP with a plastic sheeted polytunnel.

Question
Dow you think that would work ?
Will the chlorine be OK sitting dissolved in water within the can for a little over a week.

What's the CYA level? It would seem that if you always use stabilized chlorine that CYA would be well above the level that 5ppm is appropriate for.

Additionally, 5ppm of chlorine will be gone in less than two days. Regardless of CYA level. If your parents are able to pour stuff into the pool, why couldn't they pour bleach in? Are you able to purchase bleach locally? I realize you don't want to ask your parents to come by every day, but I fear that's your only choice even with your original plan because a week would leave your pool at 0 for about 5 days. 0 is not good... my pool went to 0 for maybe... 5 hours two days ago and everything went gaga, I had to shock it for the first time in two seasons (other than opening this year).

Perhaps you could enlist a neighbor or a local teen (pay them?) to come and add chlorine? I do wonder if the pre-mixed chlorine solution would loose it's potency over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.