Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: some light green stains

1. Back To Top    #1

some light green stains

i've noticed some light green stains lately in a couple of places, including seat in deep end, bottom portion of alum ladder and a bit on the shallow end steps. left a trichlor tablet on the seat for a min or so - no effect. however, these stains wipe away w/a simple swipe of a finger. i'm diligent about water chemistry (thanks to all of you), but i sometimes find it difficult to keep up w/all the leaves which fall from trees near the pool. i could also be more diligent about brushing.

FC: 3
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.8 (already added some MA)
    TA: 70-80
    CYA: 30-35
    CH: 260

water is crystal clear, no problems w/OCLT.

are these light stains anything to worry about?
    20k gal, cartridge, IG, plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: some light green stains

Your FC is on the low side go up to at least 5 or 6 ppm.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If they just wipe off, they're not stains... It's either algae or something like pollen. Run your chlorine at the high end and see if they don't go away. If they do, it was algae.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

pollen has been unusually high this year, so that could certainly be the culprit. raised chlorine, then brushed. hopefully light green areas will not return. appreciate the replies, thank you.
    20k gal, cartridge, IG, plaster