DIY In-Ground Install - Have Questions

Aug 3, 2011
Hi, I'm going to attempt probably my most difficult DIY project to date, install an inground pool. Pool comes tomorrow and the digging starts this weekend. Biggest concern I have is the vermiculite bottom, which I may contract out. The good news is the pool is only 14' X 28' with a 5' deep end so the bottom and dig should not be to difficult.

Pool Specs:
4X28 Rectangle 2R Steel
28mil Liner
Hayward Pro Grid DE 36sqft
Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump
Interfab Slide

Now my questions:
1. Do I need a bottom drain with only a 5' deep end.
2. 1.5" or 2" pipe? PVC or Tiger Flex? I'm thinking 2" PVC.
3. Is a 1.5HP pump too big for my small pool or will it be OK.
4. Are there plumbing schematics available to show all connections to the filter.
5. If I install deck jets and a slide can I run them off the filter pump. If so how should the plumbing be arranged.
6. Any plumbing schematics to rough in for a heater?
7. How much vermiculite for a pool this size?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

1. Yes
2 2" PVC
3. My knee jerk reaction is that it would be to big.
4. The owners manuel should show all connection in a schematic.
5. Yes, but you may want to consider cut offs for when they are not in use.
6. Same as 4.
7. I did sand so I can't help on this one.

And you are right this will be the biggest DIY project of your life. Good Luck!

I'm very concerned my pool size, filter, pump selection is wrong. The company I bought the kit from said it was OK but it didn't seem like he thought to hard about it.

14X28 ~13,000 gallons
Hayword DE3620
Hayword 1.5HP Super Pump

I'm also planning on having 4 Jandy Deck Jets and a Slide.

Please help as I may need to get a new pump on order.

Thanks

you don't show your location but many here including me recommend a two speed pump. I replaced a completely functional 1.5hp single speed with a 1hp two speed and have not regretted it with CA's electricity rates. Dual speed requires no special wiring. Variable speed does.

Sportsman said:
you don't show your location but many here including me recommend a two speed pump. I replaced a completely functional 1.5hp single speed with a 1hp two speed and have not regretted it with CA's electricity rates. Dual speed requires no special wiring. Variable speed does.

I live in CT. Knowing what i know now i would have gone with 2 speed, unfortunatly the single speed has shipped and it may be too much hassle to return. I'm ok with the electric bill but just want to make sure i wont damage the filter with too high pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.