Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY In-Ground Install - Have Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY In-Ground Install - Have Questions

Hi, I'm going to attempt probably my most difficult DIY project to date, install an inground pool. Pool comes tomorrow and the digging starts this weekend. Biggest concern I have is the vermiculite bottom, which I may contract out. The good news is the pool is only 14' X 28' with a 5' deep end so the bottom and dig should not be to difficult.

Pool Specs:
    4X28 Rectangle 2R Steel
    28mil Liner
    Hayward Pro Grid DE 36sqft
    Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump
    Interfab Slide

Now my questions:
    1. Do I need a bottom drain with only a 5' deep end.
    2. 1.5" or 2" pipe? PVC or Tiger Flex? I'm thinking 2" PVC.
    3. Is a 1.5HP pump too big for my small pool or will it be OK.
    4. Are there plumbing schematics available to show all connections to the filter.
    5. If I install deck jets and a slide can I run them off the filter pump. If so how should the plumbing be arranged.
    6. Any plumbing schematics to rough in for a heater?
    7. How much vermiculite for a pool this size?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY In-Ground Install - Have Questions

1. Yes
    2 2" PVC
    3. My knee jerk reaction is that it would be to big.
    4. The owners manuel should show all connection in a schematic.
    5. Yes, but you may want to consider cut offs for when they are not in use.
    6. Same as 4.
    7. I did sand so I can't help on this one.

And you are right this will be the biggest DIY project of your life. Good Luck!
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Please check out the DIY liner install thread in Pool School's Further Reading - it's not complete, but still ought help you some.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm very concerned my pool size, filter, pump selection is wrong. The company I bought the kit from said it was OK but it didn't seem like he thought to hard about it.

14X28 ~13,000 gallons
    Hayword DE3620
    Hayword 1.5HP Super Pump

I'm also planning on having 4 Jandy Deck Jets and a Slide.

Please help as I may need to get a new pump on order.

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

you don't show your location but many here including me recommend a two speed pump. I replaced a completely functional 1.5hp single speed with a 1hp two speed and have not regretted it with CA's electricity rates. Dual speed requires no special wiring. Variable speed does.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    you don't show your location but many here including me recommend a two speed pump. I replaced a completely functional 1.5hp single speed with a 1hp two speed and have not regretted it with CA's electricity rates. Dual speed requires no special wiring. Variable speed does.
    I live in CT. Knowing what i know now i would have gone with 2 speed, unfortunatly the single speed has shipped and it may be too much hassle to return. I'm ok with the electric bill but just want to make sure i wont damage the filter with too high pressure.