Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Maintenance Chlorine daily

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Maintenance Chlorine daily

Hi! I have learned a lot from this board and am hoping to care for my pool properly with your help.

I have a question about the minimum chlorine level and the target level. I am passing the overnight chlorine test, the pool is clear and in balance. I add liquid bleach to bring it to 8ppm at night (cya/fc chart)

But I have some daily loss due to sun that reduces it down to 5-4 ppm by evening time (Oklahoma full sun).

Do I just adjust every night to bring it back to 8ppm over the night, or should I add even more chlorine so that by the end of the next day of sun it is still at 8ppm?

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Adding Maintenance Chlorine daily

It all depends on the CYA level. If the target is 8 and the minimum is 5, and you're dropping to 4 before you replenish, then you need to bump it up a little higher.

The key is to never let the FC drop below minimum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great. And, I also have a spa waterfall into the pool that I usually let circulate to cool the water overnight. Does that contribute to chlorine loss? and if so, what should I do about it?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Portland, Oregon

Bumping your CYA level up might also help. It shouldn't raise the amount of chlorine you have to add every day, your target (high) and minimum will just jump to the next number up and it should reduce the loss a ppm or two.

To answer your question though, yes. Every day you add chlorine to reach your target (high) in preparation for the next day's use/chlorine loss.

If you perform an overnight test you'll know if the waterfall is contributing to the loss but I doubt it (no sunlight plus no algae/CC = little or no chlorine loss). Do one night without the waterfall running, and the next with. Compare.

The waterfall may contribute to PH rise however, so if that is ever an issue look to the waterfall when troubleshooting.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Two things and ONLY two things consume chlorine. Sunlight and organics in your pool. The waterfall is irrelevant to your chlorine loss.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Two things and ONLY two things consume chlorine. Sunlight and organics in your pool. The waterfall is irrelevant to your chlorine loss.

To OP....A full set of test results would really help us help you ...especially your CYA level If you are passing the OFCLT and you are losing more than 3ppm per day, your CYA is likely too low, but before you go adjust it, please let us know what your current CYA level is and how you measured it
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator