Polaris Pool Cleaners... are booster pumps required?

Jun 12, 2011
I am going to buy a polaris vac. From what I read, most require a booster pump. Why is this? I have a 2 spd pump that is .33/2hp. So it operates at 2hp when on high. Do I still need a booster pump?

It is a toss up btwn the 280 and 380 - require boosters
and 360 which does not require a booster.

Its not so much the need as it is so highly recommended because it can cause extra wear and tear. I have a dedicated booster pump but I went suction side. (Kreepy Kruiser)

It requires a booster. It's not a question of motor size, but the design of the pump itself - boosters are designed to give you high pressure with low flow, whereas a normal pool pump is low pressure, high flow. I'd go with the 360 or The Pool Cleaner pressure side (which also doesn't need a booster).

I have the 360 w/ no booster pump and it worked 'ok' initially and if you crossed your eyes and the stars were in alignment. I also had the Polaris 165....see above comments.

Sitting here away from home at SIL house and they use the Polaris 380 black w/ booster. Much better hose design, much better reverse power, they have no complaints.

My opinion: stay away from non-dedicated/no booster pump Polaris models.

I currently use an Aquabot and couldn't be happier.

williamske said:
I am going to buy a polaris vac. From what I read, most require a booster pump. Why is this? I have a 2 spd pump that is .33/2hp. So it operates at 2hp when on high. Do I still need a booster pump?

It is a toss up btwn the 280 and 380 - require boosters
and 360 which does not require a booster.

Go with the 280. There are less moving parts in that cleaner than the 380, making it much simpler to make repairs. Yes it does require a booster pump, but it's only meant to run for an hour or two/day.

The 360 has the same moving parts as the 380 (tune up kits are sold 360/380). The 360 will run the whole time your pump is on, unless you have it plumbed with a valve to turn on and off.

How/where does the booster pump install? I have a dedicated vac line I think...It's a seperate hole in the skimmer. I am a new pool owner, so to get suction to that pipe, what would I need to switch on?

williamske said:
How/where does the booster pump install? I have a dedicated vac line I think...It's a seperate hole in the skimmer. I am a new pool owner, so to get suction to that pipe, what would I need to switch on?

The polaris would have it's own line somewhere on it wall. If you don't have that than you need to look into a suction cleaner (Kreepy Krauly) or a robotic cleaner (AquaBot). IMO, between the 2, you get what you pay for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.