Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Pool Cleaners... are booster pumps required?

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Pool Cleaners... are booster pumps required?

I am going to buy a polaris vac. From what I read, most require a booster pump. Why is this? I have a 2 spd pump that is .33/2hp. So it operates at 2hp when on high. Do I still need a booster pump?

It is a toss up btwn the 280 and 380 - require boosters
    and 360 which does not require a booster.
    20 x 40 inground pool, 30K gal, vinyl liner, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount S244T sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate, Polaris 380 Pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris Pool Cleaners... are booster pumps required?

Its not so much the need as it is so highly recommended because it can cause extra wear and tear. I have a dedicated booster pump but I went suction side. (Kreepy Kruiser)
    Newbie in Hampton, Virginia
    TF-100 test kit
    18' round x52" /Sharkline Heritage /8000 gal /vinyl AGP
    Intex 2650 GPH, 1 HP, sand filter and SWG combo
    Solar cover

3. Back To Top    #3

It requires a booster. It's not a question of motor size, but the design of the pump itself - boosters are designed to give you high pressure with low flow, whereas a normal pool pump is low pressure, high flow. I'd go with the 360 or The Pool Cleaner pressure side (which also doesn't need a booster).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

^what he said

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the 360 w/ no booster pump and it worked 'ok' initially and if you crossed your eyes and the stars were in alignment. I also had the Polaris 165....see above comments.

Sitting here away from home at SIL house and they use the Polaris 380 black w/ booster. Much better hose design, much better reverse power, they have no complaints.

My opinion: stay away from non-dedicated/no booster pump Polaris models.

I currently use an Aquabot and couldn't be happier.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by williamske
    I am going to buy a polaris vac. From what I read, most require a booster pump. Why is this? I have a 2 spd pump that is .33/2hp. So it operates at 2hp when on high. Do I still need a booster pump?

It is a toss up btwn the 280 and 380 - require boosters
    and 360 which does not require a booster.

Go with the 280. There are less moving parts in that cleaner than the 380, making it much simpler to make repairs. Yes it does require a booster pump, but it's only meant to run for an hour or two/day.

The 360 has the same moving parts as the 380 (tune up kits are sold 360/380). The 360 will run the whole time your pump is on, unless you have it plumbed with a valve to turn on and off.

7. Back To Top    #7

How/where does the booster pump install? I have a dedicated vac line I think...It's a seperate hole in the skimmer. I am a new pool owner, so to get suction to that pipe, what would I need to switch on?
    20 x 40 inground pool, 30K gal, vinyl liner, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount S244T sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate, Polaris 380 Pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by williamske
    How/where does the booster pump install? I have a dedicated vac line I think...It's a seperate hole in the skimmer. I am a new pool owner, so to get suction to that pipe, what would I need to switch on?

The polaris would have it's own line somewhere on it wall. If you don't have that than you need to look into a suction cleaner (Kreepy Krauly) or a robotic cleaner (AquaBot). IMO, between the 2, you get what you pay for.

9. Back To Top    #9

Some pictures of your equipment would help, but it sounds like a booster pump is not an option for you.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden