Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My DIY build

1. Back To Top    #1

My DIY build

Just thought I would share a few pictures of my progress....

My specs are as follows:

- 16x19x32 Bahama shape steel wall (I have a massive right of way on my property for city sewers so I was limited)
    - Hayward 2 speed 1hp pump
    - Sand Filter
    - Hayward natural gas heater
    - Hayward LED light
    - In wall stairs

I started about 3 weeks ago and had to deal with numerous delays due to bad weather.

Cut out tarp to plan where would be the best fit (friend already swimming!)

Ripped out all my sod (should have just let excavator do this!)

Excavation day

Panels up:

Concrete bottom and stairs in

Plumbing lines (nightmare!)

Going to backfill in a few days. I have to get the light niche installed. I have to install it on a curved 8ft radius panel. Do I just press the niche so it bends or do I need to do some sort of filler? You can see the back of the niche a few pics up.

Thanks! Let me know your thoughts!
    10,000 gallon, in-ground 19x32, hayward sand filter, 250,000 btu hayward heater, hayward 2 speed 2hp pump, pentair chlorine feeder, 2 aqua genie skimmers, self build!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: My DIY build

Wow! Nice start, poolmobile! I can't answer your niche question as mine was imbedded in concrete but others will be along soon to help. You surrounding terrain looks like maybe California?

Please tell your friend that he will have much more fun AFTER the water goes in the pool. (What's that you say?......the adult beverages were providing him ALL the fun he needed? )

Your build looks professional and well thought out. Nice work!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your comment! It has been a lot of work, most of it by myself.

I am actually in Canada. A place called Kelowna...which has a an arid climate which is vey similar to California...big wine producer as well!
    10,000 gallon, in-ground 19x32, hayward sand filter, 250,000 btu hayward heater, hayward 2 speed 2hp pump, pentair chlorine feeder, 2 aqua genie skimmers, self build!

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't be suprised if after this project you never want to see a shovel again!
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

Any updates? I would love to see your progress!!
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio