First let me say throughout all of this my pool water has looked perfect. Perfectly clear sparkling water. That said, I have a little black Algae in my pool. I had a little a couple of years ago and cleared it up. My SWG went out recently and the BA made a come back. It is like the pool has the measles in a couple of spots on the walls and some on the bottom of the pool. Since I stumbled on you guys I have kept the FC higher than the pool store had me keeping it.
To start working on the BA, about maybe 2 weeks ago, I first went around the pool and everything I could reach with a TriChlor tab I rub all the spots pretty good. Those spots haven't come back yet. At Dark 7/31 I put the SWG on boost and it raised the FC to about 10 and I kept brushing at it. I noticed some of the spots sere starting to get hollow looking, more like a circle, than a dot. I then noticed a few of them would some time have a little dark line coming out of them, it almost looked like a piece of pine needle laying on top of them but there isn't a pine tree in sight and that is not what it is. If I passed the vacuum over them, it would take it right off. have any of you ever seen anything like that? The brush would take of off too but I figured it would be better to vacuum it out. I was thinking either the stuff is starting to die, or it's trying to spread.
So I went to shocking last night, 8/2/2011, after dark, I lowered the PH to 7.2 brushed the pool good and started adding bleach.
Before I started all this my test results were:
8/1 FC to 10
8/2 Started Shocking PM
Here is the part that surprised me, 6:30 AM
It passed the OCLT. I kept at it anyway
I tested several times and added bleach during the day today to keep the FC up in the brutal sun and heat today.
Tonight I brought it up to
I'll see how it tests in the morning.
My questions for some of you smart guys that have dealt with BA before is, does a small amount of BA not consume the FC like other algae does? If it was already dead, why doesn't it brush off the pool plaster?
If not how do I know when to stop shocking?
Will spots I can't reach in the pool ever come off? I really don't get how something can rub off so easy with my finger, or a Tri-chlor tab not come off when I scrub on it with a foot wide SS Brush?
Should I put a Black Algaecide in the pool?
All Ideas are welcome guys