Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Algae Shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Algae Shocking

First let me say throughout all of this my pool water has looked perfect. Perfectly clear sparkling water. That said, I have a little black Algae in my pool. I had a little a couple of years ago and cleared it up. My SWG went out recently and the BA made a come back. It is like the pool has the measles in a couple of spots on the walls and some on the bottom of the pool. Since I stumbled on you guys I have kept the FC higher than the pool store had me keeping it.

To start working on the BA, about maybe 2 weeks ago, I first went around the pool and everything I could reach with a TriChlor tab I rub all the spots pretty good. Those spots haven't come back yet. At Dark 7/31 I put the SWG on boost and it raised the FC to about 10 and I kept brushing at it. I noticed some of the spots sere starting to get hollow looking, more like a circle, than a dot. I then noticed a few of them would some time have a little dark line coming out of them, it almost looked like a piece of pine needle laying on top of them but there isn't a pine tree in sight and that is not what it is. If I passed the vacuum over them, it would take it right off. have any of you ever seen anything like that? The brush would take of off too but I figured it would be better to vacuum it out. I was thinking either the stuff is starting to die, or it's trying to spread.

So I went to shocking last night, 8/2/2011, after dark, I lowered the PH to 7.2 brushed the pool good and started adding bleach.

Before I started all this my test results were:
    7/31
    FC 5
    CC 0
    TC 5
    TA 80
    CH 280
    CYA 65
    Borates 50
    PH 7.8

8/1 FC to 10

8/2 Started Shocking PM

PH 7.2
    FC 26.5
    CC 0

Here is the part that surprised me, 6:30 AM
    FC 26.5
    CC 0
    It passed the OCLT. I kept at it anyway

I tested several times and added bleach during the day today to keep the FC up in the brutal sun and heat today.

Tonight I brought it up to
    FC 35
    CC 0

I'll see how it tests in the morning.

My questions for some of you smart guys that have dealt with BA before is, does a small amount of BA not consume the FC like other algae does? If it was already dead, why doesn't it brush off the pool plaster?

If not how do I know when to stop shocking?

Will spots I can't reach in the pool ever come off? I really don't get how something can rub off so easy with my finger, or a Tri-chlor tab not come off when I scrub on it with a foot wide SS Brush?

Should I put a Black Algaecide in the pool?

All Ideas are welcome guys
    TIA
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black Algae Shocking

They make a tablet holder that you can attach to your pole. You could take it (or make one) and hold a tablet on the spots where you can't reach. I think a good going over with the tablets would be better than anything else you can do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    They make a tablet holder that you can attach to your pole. You could take it (or make one) and hold a tablet on the spots where you can't reach. I think a good going over with the tablets would be better than anything else you can do.
    Thanks Bama Rambler, could you point me where I could find one of these tablet holders by any chance?
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

4. Back To Top    #4

You can google for more info, but I did find this first:
    http://www.lincolnaquatics.com/2011Catalog/2011_67.pdf

You might want to just try to make one.

Scrub with wire brush before and after the trichlor scrub.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!